Last year, more than 12.4 million children were at risk for hunger. In the United States. That’s 17.2% of all US children, feeling hungry and not really understanding why. That’s a sobering and heartbreaking statistic, Sisters and Brothers.
About Share Our Strength®:
Share Our Strength® is a national organization that works hard to make sure no kid in America grows up hungry. We weave together a net of community groups, activists and food programs to catch children at risk of hunger and surround them with nutritious food where they live, learn and play.
Since 2004, Share Our Strength has served over 40 million meals to children in the United States, taught 200,000 kids about healthy foods and food choices, and has raised over $245 million for 1,000 nonprofits working to end hunger. They have also worked with the Centers for Disease Control to End Childhood Hunger and Obesity, as well as helped 17,000 low-income families learn how to eat better for less through Share Our Strength Operation Frontline courses.
How has Share Our Strength accomplished all of this? In 1988, in the wake of the Ethiopian famine, founders Bill and Debbie Shore realized everyone has the strength to share in the fight against hunger and poverty. They relied on help from the food service industry, tapping the creative talents of chefs, restaurateurs and foodservice professionals, and transforming their love of food and feeding people into a powerful force in the fight against hunger. Realizing the impact that corporate partners could make on their programs, they amassed a network of volunteers and several creative campaigns affording sponsors the opportunity to join in on the fight against hunger. Today, Share Our Strength has reached out into many community in America ‘weaving together a net of community groups, activists and food programs that catches children at risk of hunger and surrounds them with nutritious food where they live, learn and play’.
One of these corporate partners is Weight Watchers.
Last Fall, Weight Watchers held their first ever Lose for Good campaign. At the heart of the campaing was the mantra: ‘empower people to become healthier while also doing good for others.’ And so, for each pound a Weight Watchers member lost during the campaign, a pound of food was donated to Share Our Strength and Action Against Hunger to help feed impoverished children in our own communities and abroad. The campaign was more than a huge success! Weight Watchers donated 1 Million dollars, and Weight Watchers members donated 1.5 Million pounds of food at local meeting places. WOW! This year, Weight Watchers is hoping to blow the top off last year’s numbers, and we at the Sisterhood will be helping out.
Even if you aren’t a member of Weight Watchers, you’ll still be able to help out! And yes, more details will come very soon, we promise!
In the meantime, you might be asking what you can do to assist Share Our Strength in their mission to end childhood hunger? We’re so glad you asked!
- Donate. It’s plain and simple, and doesn’t take more than a few clicks.
- Get involved.
- Go Humans Go! Quaker will donate 10 servings of Quaker products, made with whole grain oats, to Share our Strength for every UPC code you enter here.
- Take part in the Great American Dine Out, September 20-26th, to end childhood hunger in America. Click here to find participating restaurants in your area.
- For more information, visit Share Our Strength.
Unrelated, but important nonetheless:
- Please make sure to stop by our contributors blogs!! Their posts are not feeding through to the main site anymore due to posting overload. They can always use your support! Look over there on the far sidebar and click the links under their lovely photos.
- Make sure you’re following us on Twitter.
- And if you haven’t subscribed, do it now, k?