I hate to say it, but I have to admit that I like the taste of the small hamburgers at MacDonald’s. I know, I know- bad me but I didn’t say that I actually eat them hardly ever. I’m not sure what it is about those small, little burgers but they taste so yummy (and flat, lol) to me. C’mon, I can’t be alone on this, right?
Anyhoo, I choose NOT to eat those burgers and really, ANY burgers because frankly, I choose to eat my calories in other ways. BUT, I do miss the taste of those burgers. I’m just being honest.
Enter this recipe- Family Favorite Cheeseburger Pasta. When I took my first bite of this dish, I was instantly reminded of the MacDonald’s hamburgers. Seriously. It may be pasta form, BUT it really does taste like a burger. Strange, I KNOW. You’ll have to trust me on this one though- this is a yummy, delicious, family-pleasing meal.
Serve it with a huge green salad and call it a day. Enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain pasta; add to meat mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, relish, mustard, ketchup, steak seasoning and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 391 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 759 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Taste of the Sisterhood is sponsored by Attune Foods!