Today, I post a recipe for Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins that has gotten me through so many situations, including the one this weekend in which I am doing my first half-iron distance triathlon, probably right now as we speak and as you read this! (I sure hope I’m doing well right now!)
What did I have for my pre-race breakfast, you ask?
Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins, for one.
OK, you got me, I’ve posted this recipe here before but there are a lot of new faces and those of you who have forgotten about it need a reminder because YOU ALL JUST NEED TO HAVE THIS MUFFIN! It is packed with all sorts of goodness, so much so that two of these babies topped with light cream cheese are the perfect breakfast! And the perfect race-morning breakfast too, especially because they even travel well!
I baked a million of these to leave with the grandparents for the kids who love them, and I baggied up a million for me for snacks on the road and for breakfast on race day.
So here is the recipe! I have also added bananas to it before and they were good, and I plan on adding peanut butter to it one day to make the super duper ooper schmooper perfect race day muffin. So now you know my not so secret.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites (I’ve used EggBeaters)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- raisins or nuts (optional but I haven’t used either yet)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Soak the oats in milk for an hour. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients (except the cinnamon and sugar) together. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired. Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. These can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
WWP+ 3 • Calories 109 • Calories from Fat 6 • Total Fat 0.7g • Saturated Fat 0.1g • Trans Fat 0.0g • Cholesterol 0mg • Sodium 169mg • Total Carbohydrates 22.1g • Dietary Fiber 0.5g • Sugars 8.3g • Protein 3.6g • Vitamin A 1% • Vitamin C 0% • Calcium 5% • Iron 3%
DELICIOUS! Have a wonderful day!
Taste of the Sisterhood is sponsored by Attune Foods!