It happens every year.
Every year, I vow that I am not going to get as stressed as I did the year before.
I would get my shopping done early. I would be more protective of my time. I would let some of the little holiday extras fall by the wayside.
And every year, I end up burning the candles at both ends. There are just some things that, evidently, I am not willing to let go.
So I have to make sure my double-ended candle has an extra long wick.
Sometimes, having an extra full plate is just something you deal with. Maybe you choose to be super busy, or maybe you have no control over it. Either way, there are some things you can do to make the time a little more bearable.
Here are some super simple things you can do to help bring your stress down a notch or two, even if just for a moment…
- Constantly have a bottle water with you. When it’s empty, take 10 seconds to fill it up. Chances are, if you are stressed, you’re not eating all that great. The least you can do for your body (which is working overtime for you, thank you very much) is to give it the water it needs to keep moving.
- Take ten deep breaths. Stop what you are doing, close your eyes, and breathe with purpose. Focus on your lungs filling with air. Then focus on pushing the air out. If you have time, take twenty breaths.
- Listen to music. Whenever you can, crank up the tunes and tackle your to do list. It’ll lift your spirits and (dare I say) will make even the ugliest task fun.
- Dance. Shake your booty while you’re mixing the cookies. Cut a rug while you vacuum one. Bop your head while you write out Christmas cards. This one is even more fun if you actually have music playing. : )
- Make a to-do list. Sometimes, I get freaked out just thinking about what I have to do. When I write it down, I realize that maybe it wasn’t as bad as I thought.
- Stop multi-tasking. I know this seems like a weird one, but when you try to do too many things at one time, you usually end up with a whole lot of half done stuff. Set a timer and work on one thing until the timer goes off.
- Smile. Life is pretty good, really. Why shouldn’t you smile?