Shrinking Bootcamp is off to a great start. Well, depending on who you ask! You’re really taking things to the next level by joining in, and we’re so proud of each and every one of you! Just think where you’ll be in 6 weeks.
Today’s bootcamp is going to be the exact same workout as Monday, Day 1. Friday’s bootcamp will also be the same. We want you to get comfortable and master each of the exercises before we change things up next week!
We will not be posting a bootcamp on Friday, so be sure to refer back to this post so you’ll know what to do. Or, you can just print it and keep it with you.
After you warm up, you’ll be sprinting a number of times.
What’s a sprint? It’s an all-out run, and will serve as your main form of Bursting. And yes, you should do it even if you aren’t a runner. Just run for 30-60 seconds like you’ve got zombies chasing you. When you’re done, you won’t be able to talk and you might feel like keeling over and dying – your heart will be racing. That’s how you know you’re doing it right. Trust me. Between each sprint, take a 1-2 minute break to allow your heart rate to come down. It will suck the first few times you do it, but as you progress, the sprints will get easier. The best part? They are over fast and they will keep your metabolism and your energy up for the rest of the day!
After your sprints, you’ll do a group of exercises. Do each exercise the prescribed number of times, without stopping, and then immediately move on to the next exercise. Once you’ve finished all the exercises, please don’t skip the stretching. You’ll be sorry! Trust me. Make sure to stretch your entire body.
Below are the exercises! You can click on them and see a short demonstration video that Wende and I put together.
Shrinking Bootcamp W1D2&3
- Warm up walk/jog 10 minutes
- FIVE (5) Sprinting Bursts* – 30-60 seconds in length (see above video)
- Reverse Lunge kick- 15 each leg
- Push ups- 15 total push ups – (start on toes, and drop to knees if needed)
- Squat Reach Up Side- 15 each side
- Side plank dips- 15 each side
- Squat leg lifts- 15 each leg (demo at 1:35 on video)
- One arm tricep extension- 15 each side
- Cool down and stretch
See, it’s not so bad is it? You were scared for nothing!
I want to impress upon you how important those sprinting bursts are. Seriously. If you don’t do them, you might as well not do any of the workout!
*If for some reason you cannot do a sprinting burst, you can modify this move by doing 30-60 seconds of Burpees or Mountain Climbers – FAST PACED.
There were some questions voiced on Twitter and over on the ‘hood after Monday’s workout, so I’ll address some of them below.
- If you’re new to sprinting, you probably won’t be able to make it 60 seconds. Just do what you can, but remember to always push past your comfort zone. After a couple of weeks, I guarantee that 60 seconds of sprinting will be within your grasp!
- The lunge-kick is indeed a Reverse lunge with a kick forward.
- You can alternate legs or do one side and then the other side on the lunges and squats. Just make sure to do the total amount!
- On the side-plank dips, you can certainly ‘unstack’ your feet to give you a little more balance. Be sure to continue holding your core tight, because that’s where your true balance will come from.
- The one-arm tricep extensions are hard! Go slowly with them and focus on form.
- If you need to take a short break between exercises, please do!
- You do not have to do bootcamp on MWF. Feel free to switch it up to whatever days work best for you!
- Please be sure to stretch! You can find Five Fantastic Stretching Exercises for the lower body here. There are some great upper body stretches here.
- Be sure to hydrate while you are exercising! A sip of water between sprints is highly recommended! And be sure to drink a ton of water afterwards. You’ll also want to have a small snack within 30 minutes to help your muscles recover more quickly. I suggest some string cheese and lunchmeat, or an apple with peanut butter. Some carbs and protein! Chocolate milk is great, just don’t get crazy. And CLICK Espresso Protein Drink is always my go-to post exercise recovery drink!
We encourage you to head over to the ‘hood and join the Shrinking Bootcamp group. It’s a great place to talk about how awesome bootcamp is and how great you feel right after you’ve done it :) Seriously!
Free 6-Week Online Bootcamp