The final bell of school is getting ready to ring, and that means plenty of fun summer road trips! Plan ahead to make sure when you stop to fill up the tank, that’s all you’re filling up! What is it about gas stations that says Hey! It’s okay to grab some of those 2/$1.00 candy bars, a few of those hot dogs on the turn-y thing, and while you’re at it, get a 4,000 ounce slushie, too!
Do me a favor, pack these quick and easy, healthy road trip snacks, pay at the pump, and avoid a huge road trip disaster!
- Nuts! Who’s not nuts for nuts? Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and pecans are your best bet. And, no corn-nuts don’t count! If you’re looking for something a little sweet, try the cocoa-dusted almonds – they’re divine!
- Dried fruit. Raisins, cranberries, apricots, peaches, the possibilities are endless.
- Blueberries. Totally portable and non-messy! Really, any berry is a great idea.
- Cherry tomatoes. Once you pop ’em, you can stop.
- Baby carrots. Keep your eyes focused on the road with carrots!
- String cheese. The kids will love this!
- Energy bars. Think Lara Bars, Clif Zbars, or even mini-Luna Bars (my fave).
- Bananas. Nature’s perfect road trip food.
- Sandwiches. Pre-make some peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwiches. Cut into quarters and you’re ready for the road.
- Hard boiled eggs. Peel them before you pull out, and you’ll have a great protein boost when you need it.
- PopChips! If you must have chips, these are a great way to satisfy that craving.
- Grapes. Like bananas, grapes were made for road trips.
- Suckers. Sometimes you really just need something sweet. Try Yummy Earth organic suckers – sweet, healthy, and totally portable. My favorite is Very, Very Cherry. The organic Hot Chili Pops are fun, too!
- Yogurt. We don’t recommend you try this while driving, but for those pit stops for pictures, a single-serve cup of yogurt is a great idea.
- Water! Yes, you definitely want to stay hydrated on the road!
By the time you read this post, I will be on my very own road trip – our end-of-year school trip! Packed in my bag and cooler, I have 11 of the 15 ideas I have listed above!
Tell us you favorite healthy snacks for road trips!