It took me awhile, but I’ve learned that if I don’t like it, I won’t do it. I know that I need to exercise, but I had to figure out what makes me want to exercise. You have to like what you are doing. And finally, I do!!
I was kind of lost for a little bit when my favorite instructor quit teaching at the school where I was exercising. She got me. She knew what I needed and she pushed me when I needed to be pushed. She encouraged me and she made me want to sweat and work hard. When that was gone, I had to rethink my whole exercise routine. It took me a bit, but I got it figured out and I love it.
Let me tell you about my five favorite ways to exercise and get moving.
1. I love to walk outside. I can go anywhere I want. I can use the Charity Miles app on my phone. I walk with a good friend who makes the time go so quickly.
2. With the fall weather comes earlier sunsets and cooler temperatures. If walking outside isn’t possible, my next favorite thing to do is doing circuits in the basement with the same awesome friend. We have an eliptical, a treadmill and a recumbant bike down there. We hop on and keep rotating through them for an hour or so.
3. I love zumba. I will never be good at it, but I love it. My old instructor made me a cd of the songs we used to use in class. I pop that in and go to town. I found I actually like to zumba by myself. I don’t have to worry if I’m doing the right moves and if I look stupid.
4. I’ve gone back to Jillian Michaels and the Shred and Shred with Weights. There is no relaxing with a Jillian dvd. She pushes you to your max, but I enjoy it. Just about the time that I think I can’t go anymore, it’s done.
5. I started doing something that I even forgot I had. The grandkids were spending the night and wanted to play Wii bowling. While I was digging for it in the cabinet, I came across the disc for the EA Sports Active 2. I forgot how much fun this could be. The grandkids were having fun with it too.
Neccesity really is the Mother of Invention. I had to find a new routine and it took me a little time, but I did it and I’m really happy with it. I’ve lost 13 pounds since the first of June. Not bad for this old girl!