Have you ever thought of becoming a runner but had no idea where to start? Or maybe you knew that you could start, but then had fear that you wouldn’t finish, or that it might hurt too much, or that there is just no way you could ever be a runner? Do you want to get from the couch to running a 5K in just 8 weeks?
Me, right before running my first 5K. In November 2009. I trained for it with the wonderful ladies here at Shrinking Jeans. I NEVER thought I could do it nor would do it, but I did. The biggest reason for trying it(because let’s face it, I did. not. want. to. be. a. runner- too much work, sweat, and aches! It turns out all the other times I tried to be a runner, I was pushing it too hard from the get-go instead of working up to it- duh). Positive peer pressure can be a wonderful thing. And yes, I can be that goofy.
Have you heard of Couch to 5K?
It is a program that is designed to get from the couch to running a 5K in just 8 weeks (really 9 weeks). It is based on the premise that you must ease into your running gradually, and the schedule does just that. You perform three workouts a week for nine weeks. You will alternate timed segments of walking with jogging, and will gradually add more jogging the farther into it you get.
Is this something that you would like to do, maybe with a little support and motivation from an online community that is designed to do just that? Then, please, join us in our Couch to 5K Virtual Program! What exactly does this mean?
- First, you have to commit to following the Couch to 5K program (abbreviated to C25K for the rest of this post).
- We will begin following the training program outlined by C25K the week of December 30th. You choose what day you want to begin- Dec 30, Dec 31, or Jan 1. You just have to start that week.
- We will have weekly check-ins to see how everyone is doing.
- You will have the support of those who have been through this already. Remember, the majority of us runners didn’t just start running one day. We had to work up to it, too. A lot of us used C25K as our foundation to becoming a runner- our launching pad, if you will.
- We want participation from YOU. That means you have to comment on the posts, ask questions if you have a question, and show runner love to others. A large part of the joy of running for me is the community aspect. If you don’t join in, we won’t know who you are and when you need a little push, a huge nudge, and a hug of encouragement. You are not alone on this journey.
- I will be introducing to you a select group of runners who have agreed to mentor a newbie runner. They will be there every step of the way to help you along the way as you make the journey to becoming a runner- answering questions, checking in with you, and more. That means I looking for a few newbie runners who want to be mentored!
- We will profile C25K participants that want to be profiled. This is a great way to introduce yourself to our community, a way to be held accountable, and to get some exposure for your personal blog (if you have one and if it matters to you). Here is one success story from a few years back- it is one of our most viewed/popular posts E-V-E-R!
What do I need from you a today?
- A comment down below, letting me know that you want to participate, join in on the fun and get started already with walking, jogging, wogging, and running! Also, let me know if you want to be profiled on our site.
- I also need to know who is interested in being considered for a mentee spot. Raise your hand high in the air if you think that mentee spot has your name written all over it (that means say something in the comments). Leave a valid email so that I can get in touch with you about next steps to securing those coveted mentee spots- we only have the capacity to take on a few mentees this time around.
- Think about which day you want to start the c25K training- Dec 30, Dec 31, or Jan 1.
More details to come in future posts- be on the lookout. So are you in for going from the couch to running a 5K in 8 weeks time? Just say yes and comment already!
Ready, set, go!!!