The Holidays are here and so are the parties. Work parties, soirees with friends, family gatherings.
Chances are, you’ll be navigating not only obscene amounts of appetizers, cookies, candy, but you’ll also be enjoying some alcoholic beverages.
Booze adds up, guys. Quickly. A few drinks and you can totally blow your calorie intake for the day.
Here are a few to avoid:
- Traditional Eggnog – I’m talking upwards of 300 calories. But never fear – there’s a light eggnog recipe below!
- Pina Coladas. I’m not sure how many of you have pina coladas at Christmastime. But anyhow, just a warning – they can be about 600 calories.
- Mudslides. This is basically a milkshake. And has about 800 calories. YIKES!
And now, a few light holiday beverages to enjoy. Responsibly of course.
- Have some bubbly! A glass of champagne will only set you back about 80 calories.
- You can’t go wrong with a vodka and soda or gin and tonic. One ounce of booze and three ounces of soda tonic are about 100 calories. Add a twist for extra flavor and no extra calories.
- Mojitos can be surprisingly light! This one is only around 120 calories:
Wine is a good go to drink – three ounces is about 80 calories (three ounces does not equal one bottle with a straw – just saying).
- Yes, eggnog is a diet disaster. But I found a light eggnog recipe (click on the photo below) – and it’s only 152 calories per serving – a total bargain compared to the 330 calories found in regular eggnog.
Remember to temper your alcohol intake by drinking a glass of water between each drink. Not only that, never drink on an empty stomach. Bad news. And finally, when you get home, drink a massive glass of water.
Oh yeah, and I know it goes without saying, but be safe. No drinking and driving. There are lots of nice taxi drivers that will be happy to take your money and get you home safely.
Cheers everyone! What’s your favorite holiday tipple (with or without alcohol)?