Who’s ready for a gun show? Your arms will be bangin’ after this month, that’s for sure! Our monthly workout calendars are meant to be a supplement to the fitness routine you are already implementing. Find more monthly workout calendars here.
Don’t forget to take some before and after photos so you can see your progress at the end of the month!
Note: You may modify the workout calendar to fit your needs and current fitness level!
The exercises we will be doing this month are described below. For the press and raises, use dumbbells. No weights? Improvise by using soup cans or water bottles!
- Just imagine that you are about to sit in an imaginary chair placed directly in front of your real chair as you set up for this exercise. You can do chair dips anywhere you find a sturdy chair, or even on a park bench, ledge, fireplace hearth, just about anywhere! View demo on YouTube.
- Stand in front of a chair. Face away from the chair’s seat. Sit down on the edge of the seat and place your hands behind your hips. Your hands should be on the edge of the seat and shoulder width apart.
- Lift your buns off of the seat and walk your feet forward. Make sure your hands are secure on the chair so that you don’t slip off. Keep your chest elevated and head up. Your knees should not bend past your toes. Slowly lower your body downward. Be careful that your elbows don’t bend to an angle smaller than 90 degrees.Extend your arms, raising your body upward and supporting your weight with your arms.
- Beginners can try 1 set of 6 to 8 reps. More conditioned exercisers can try 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps.
Plank Arm Row & Rotate
- Start on floor in full push-up position, balancing on hands and toes, body forming a straight line from head to heels. Move feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping hips level, lift left hand off floor and bend left elbow behind you to bring hand next to shoulder.
- Return to start.
- Repeat, this time rotating torso to right so that left elbow points up (as shown). Return to start to complete 1 rep.
- Do 2 sets of 10 reps, alternating sides.
We all know how to do the dreaded push ups, right? Concerned about proper form? Check out this article!
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and sit on a bench with back support.
- Plant your feet firmly on the floor about hip-width apart.
- Bend your elbows and raise your upper arms to shoulder height so the dumbbells are at ear level.
- Pull your abdominals in so there is a slight gap between the small of your back and the bench.
- Place the back of your head against the pad.
- Push the dumbbells up and in until the ends of the dumbbells touch lightly, directly over your head, and then lower the dumbbells back to ear level.
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and let them hang at arm’s length next to your sides, with your palms facing each other.
- Raise your arms straight in front of you until they’re parallel to the floor and perpendicular to your torso. Pause, then slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, with arms by sides and palms facing forward.
- Bend elbows near rib cage to bring dumbbells next to shoulders while keeping palms facing forward.
- Punch left arm out to left side, palm facing forward, and then quickly bring dumbbell back to shoulder. Repeat with right arm to right side, then lower arms to start.
- Do 2 sets of 20 reps, alternating sides. MAKE IT HARDER: On final rep, do 20 fast-paced punches with left arm, then repeat with right arm.
Monthly Workout Calendar
Note: Weeks 1, 2, & 3 do two sets of each exercise. Weeks 4 & 5, do three sets. Reps for shoulder press, front raises, plank arm and rotates, and hammer punches are for EACH SIDE!