Let’s talk oil. You don’t slather it on your skin. You don’t swallow it by the spoonful. And you don’t soak your food (or yourself) in it.
With oil pulling, you swish it. Yep. In your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. (Insert imminent ‘that’s what she said’ joke here)
This Ayurvedic method has been practiced for centuries. Documents and records indicate that the practice oil pulling first originated in India, specifically with sesame oil. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita and is claimed to cure about 30 systemic diseases ranging from migraine headaches to diabetes and asthma (oilpulling.com).
How it works
Any type of vegetable oil can be used in oil pulling, including sesame oil, coconut oil, and sunflower oil. Oil pulling therapy essentially “pulls” bacteria out of your mouth and gum pockets upon swishing. Because it absorbs the exotoxins and endotoxins present in your mouth, it is “pulling” them too from your body (http://www.jonbarron.org/article/oil-pulling-detoxing). This process is a detoxifying and cleansing process; swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. According to Dr. Karach, one of the biggest proponents of oil pulling, “The Oil-therapy heals totally headaches, bronchitis, tooth pain, thrombosis, eczema, ulcers, intestinal diseases, heart and kidney diseases, encephalitis and woman’s diseases. Preventively the growth of malignant tumors is cut and healed. Chronic blood diseases, paralysis, diseases of nerves, stomach, lungs and liver and sleeplessness are cured.”
Studies also show that this simple cleansing process can whiten teeth, strengthen gums, and help heal and prevent oral health issues, including cavities and gingivitis, plaque, bad breath, bleeding gums, sensitive teeth, and dryness of lips, mouth, and throat (blog.integrativenutrition.com).
Additional studies show that with long term use other health and beauty benefits include:
- Regulation of menstrual cycle & improved PMS symptoms
- Decreased inflammation in your body
- Reduced headaches
- Better sleep (a natural beauty key)
- Fights cavities & gingivitis
- Improved (less toxically loaded) lymphatic system
- Increased energy
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Fibromyalgia and many autoimmune diseases
It is, however, imperative to swish the oil around in the mouth for no less than 15 to 20 minutes. Less than that and it is ineffective. The oil should be a milky white when you’re finished.
How to do it
- On an empty stomach put 1-3 teaspoons of oil in your mouth.
- Swish it around for at least 15 to 20 minutes. This will allow the oil to break through the plaque and start reabsorbing the bacteria. First the oil will turn into a thin, white liquid. Then the oil will get thicker and more opaque as it continues to mix with saliva and absorb the toxins (blog.integrativenutrition.com).
- Spit. By now the oil has become full of toxins. If you swallow it, you are putting those right back into your body. Spit the oil in a paper towel, plastic bag, or toilet – spitting in the sink may cause clogged pipes.
- Rinse well. You want all that now-toxic oil out of your mouth. Using apple cider vinegar or salt water is a good way to ensure that you get it all.
- Brush. Brushing your teeth will kill any remaining bacteria…and leave you minty fresh.
Just like with most health practices, the longer you do it, the more effective it will be. If you only do it for week, you probably won’t see many results.
Time to get slick: Grab the oil of your choice and get your swish on!
Have you practiced oil pulling? What results have you seen?