I’m curious to know how many of you out in the ‘hood lift weights? Have you tried, half-heartedly, and given up? Did/do you feel lost and intimidated when you look at a stack of dumbbells? Are you worried about getting hurt? Or are you in the weights setion of your gym with the big boys three days a week, showing them how it’s done?
Me? I’m somewhere in between. I enjoy lifting, but often life gets in the way of establishing a true routine. I find myself starting over. A lot. Like right now :) So in an effort to encourage you, and me, to go pump some iron, here is my list of top five reasons to lift weights. Get ready to pick up those dumbbells!
- Strength training increases bone density, thereby decreasing your chances of developing osteoporosis.
- Lifting weights helps speed up your resting metabolic rate.
- It makes you feel amazing! There’s nothing better than the feeling of knowing you gave it your all. And keeping a record of the weights you use, and watching that number increase as you get stronger gives your confidence a huge boost.
- Strength training can be great for stress management. And let’s face it, many of us are moms and/or wives: we’ve got a lot of stress to manage!
- Lifting allows you to retain muscle mass whilst losing weight. You want to lose fat, not muscle, right?
What about you? Why do you lift? Why don’t you? And how can I get you to change your mind?