“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” I love this….It builds confidence & strength. Think about it for a minute. You really are more than you believe you are!! Sometimes we just need a little reminder. I wanted to give you that reminder today, so I looked up and found some quotes from some of the most famous and inspirational people to help give you that little boost of confidence you need to keep pushing through.
You will reach your goals; as long as you keep reaching for the stars!
“Success breeds confidence.” – Beryl Markham
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” ~ Helen Keller; American author, political activist, and lecturer
Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe; American author
“You are more powerful than you know; you are beautiful just as you are.” — Melissa Etheridge
Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
“If you think somebody cares about you and believes your life is worth saving, how can you give up?”
— Geraldine Ferraro, first female candidate for Vice President in 1984
“It takes a couple of years just to get the background and knowledge that you need before you can go into detailed training for your mission.”
— Sally Ride, first American woman to go to space
“You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.”
— Beverly Sills, former American opera soprano
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt; Former First Lady of the United States
After reading through all these quotes I feel like I am a bit more empowered to do all that I set out to do. Do you? What are you going to do today that you weren’t confident of doing?
Then I found this great article that just spoke volumes to me. It was written for women to pass along to their daughters, but I was never told these things as a girl and I thought maybe some of you could also benefit from these 9 things to help us gain the strength and confidence to go forth and reach our goals….no matter what those goals are!!
1. It is not your job to keep the people you love happy. The hard truth is that you can’t, anyway.
This is the truth!! Make yourself happy!!
2. Your physical fearlessness is a strength. Please continue using your body in the world: run, jump, climb, throw. There is both health and a sense of mastery in physical activity and challenges.
You will be healthier and happier if you remember this always!!
3. You should never be afraid to share your passions. Anyone who teases you for what you love to do is not a true friend. This is hard to realize, but essential.
The truth is some people are mean, but there are people out there that will love the same things you do. These people will become your true friends!! That’s one of the wonderful things about having running clubs, Weight Watcher meetings, or this website!! We at the ‘hood have a passion for helping you become a better person and hope to share our passions with you!!
4. It is okay to disagree with me, and others. You are old enough to have a point of view, and I want to hear it. So do those who love you. Don’t pick fights for the sake of it, of course, but when you really feel I’m wrong, please say so. You have heard me say that you are right, and you’ve heard me apologize for my behavior or point of view when I realize they were wrong. Your perspective is both valid and valuable. Don’t shy away from expressing it.
This helps us gain confidence, which helps us grow stronger!! Make your voice heard – but don’t be rude!! Rude people are not loved!!
5. You are so very beautiful. I can see the clouds of society’s beauty myth hovering, manifest in your own growing self-consciousness. I beg of you not to lose sight with your own beauty, so much of which comes from the fact that your spirit runs so close to the surface.
‘Nuf said – YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!
6. Reading is essential.
It’s how we educate ourselves! It’s how we change ourselves! It’s how we prepare our mind for new and better ideas!
7. You are not me. We are very alike, but you are your own person, entirely, completely, fully.
We are all similar, but yet we are all different! Be yourself!!
8. It is almost never about you. What I mean is that when people act in a way that hurts or makes you feel insecure, it is almost certainly about something happening inside of them, and not about you.
As I said before sometimes people are mean and rude!! Don’t let them hurt you!!
9. I am trying my best.
This is what we need to be striving for every single day. That we are trying our best to become the best person we can be.
***Adapted from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsey-mead-russell/ten-things-ten-years-olds-should-know_b_1553134.html