“What is the ‘hood? Why do you like the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans? Why should I join? What does it cost? Why do you love it so much?” These are just a few of the questions I have received from a few of my friends recently. Today, I’m going to attempt to provide answers to these questions and more for you, my readers. Let me know if you have other questions!
So as we wind down 2013 (how is that even possible to be the end of 2013?), I thought I would share with y’all the reasons I think EVERYONE who needs a little help in the “health and fitness” area needs to be a part of the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans! And while I am at it there are a few words of “terminology” that you need to learn if you truly want to be a part of this group!
First of all, if you are truly part of the fold of the group, you will affectionately be called a “hooker”. It has NOTHING to do with your occupation. In fact, I’m not sure how the term came about but you know you are part of the group when Christy or Melissa address you as a “hooker”! I will never forget the first email I got from them calling me a “hooker”, I’ve never been so proud!
Secondly, if you are a consistent reader and/or commenter you will hear the term HOOD, a lot. It’s just short for “the Sisterhood” or “part of the group”. I don’t think any of us really live in the ‘hood, although Christy lives in the boonies of west Texas and Melissa lives close to the frozen tundra of North Dakota! I lived in what I called the “hood” of a suburb of Dallas until earlier this year, although it truly was just an apartment that needed a lot of attention!
Thirdly, you will learn what the true meaning of FRIENDSHIP is from this group!
Now on to reasons why YOU should be a part of this support group! All of these may apply to you or only one or two may apply to you. The point is the ladies here The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans can provide motivation or encouragement in many different ways. What do you need to make you a better YOU? Think about it and let us know how we can help! It’s what we are here for!
- If you need help and support to lose weight and get back your fitness mojo, we can provide it! Just ask and we will figure out a good solution or direct you to someone who can! We have our resident nutritionist, Jodi on staff so that might be where we start or it might even be to send you to a doctor, cuz we AREN’T DOCTORS and don’t claim to be! (As a matter of fact, if you haven’t gone to the doctor in a while for a physical that is the first place you need to start as you begin the journey to health and fitness!) We want you to be safe and well cared for along the way.
- It’s FREE to be a part of our group! Yes, that’s right, FREE!! It costs you nothing to join us! Sign up for a challenge, comment, join in Facebook groups, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest; there are TONS of ways to be a part of us and MOST of them are FREE!
Occasionally, we will host a Diet Bet challenge,(like the one coming up that starts Wednesday!) these cost money ($20 or $25) but it isn’t necessary to join the Diet Bet to be part of the challenge. You will benefit from it from the community support, though and if you lose your 4% of your weight in the 28 days you will reap $$ benefits as well as weight loss benefit.
- You will acquire new healthy living habits if you WANT TO! Nearly every day we offer some kind of tip to help you on your journey to live better. We even offer healthy meal plans on our sister site, Shrinking Kitchen. Once again it is FREE!
- We provide exercise plans to help you along the way. Everything from our Monthly Calendar to our Bootcamp workouts complete with workout video demonstrations so you won’t have the excuse that you don’t know how to do a particular workout! We also provide challenges that will get you up and motivated to want to workout again!
- We provide a safe environment to do weekly weigh-ins without someone watching over you telling you that you did or didn’t do enough! But we also are here to push yourself to do a bit more than you thought you could.
- We have women on our writing staff that are young, 20-something, and single or older, 50-something, grandmothers and everything in-between. We have married with children and married without children. We have women that are “stay at home moms” and women that are working to “bring home the bacon”. We have women that work at home or work in a career! We have women that are just like you! Overweight and struggling, or just need some toning; we’ve been there, done that (or are still there)! Yes, we are all in this together and we are here to help you!
- If you are just starting out on your health and fitness journey or even if you’ve been at it for awhile, we can help motivate, encourage, and push you to stretch yourself just a bit further to reach the goals you have set for yourself. Or, if you need help setting some goals we can make suggestions for that, as well! We are here for you, where ever you are in this journey!
- And for me….the most important reason that I kept coming back over and over again for years, FRIENDSHIP!! There are women on this site that I have never met face to face but I consider them more of a friend than some of the people in my “real life” circle of friends! For me, the friendship that these women have provided me with is worth more than any single pound I could have lost without them. I don’t know about you but I am someone that needs friendship that doesn’t judge. Someone that will just sit and listen, and nudge you along to keep working toward your goals! This is how I have managed to lose 50 pounds since I started reading this site and how I will keep striving to lose the remaining 25 more pounds that I want to lose in 2014.
- Edited additional reason to join the ‘hood — We have a wonderful group of lady runners that will help you find your running groove; whether you are a seasoned runner that runs “all.the.time” or a “barely can run from driveway to driveway in the crowded suburbs”, we can get you where you want to go if you are interested in becoming a runner! Check out the Running with the Sisterhood group and you will find amazing support!
It’s all about the support that you will get! That’s the reason for the ‘hood!
A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare
My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me. – Henry Ford
These are the things I feel that I have gained from being a part of the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans. We would love to have you along on our journey to see what we can all gain from our experience, our successes and our failures. It’s all a journey, come along for the ride!!
This is precisely what the ladies here have done for me and they will do the same for you if you give them a chance!
Image Source: Pinterest