It is officially summer in the northern hemisphere and for many people that means VACATION SEASON!! The kids are out of school
unless you are mean and homeschool your kids all throughout the year, like I do!, the weather is warm and the days are longer, so that means you have a bit more freedom in your schedule. This also means that meals are on the go, and we are out of our normal routine. In order to make sure you don’t lose all that we have accomplished during the first half of this year we need to make sure you continue with some simple goals while you are on this vacation season!
- Drink plenty of water – Whatever you are doing, wherever you are going always drink half your body weight in water!! This will help you stay hydrated and less likely to consume too many extra calories.
- Pack your own snacks – Whenever we go anywhere, whether it is just to the pool with friends or out of town we always pack our own snacks! We like to pack nuts, fruits and veggies, and cheese sticks! This helps us to know exactly what we are eating and it keeps us from stopping at fast food or convenience stores along the way!
- Make sure you get out of the car and move around more than just going to the bathroom! Do jumping jacks, squats, front and rear lunges, jog in place…anything to get the blood flowing to the legs and rev up your heart rate!! It may feel strange the first few times you do this in the parking lot but you will feel so much better at the end of the day!
- Once you get to your destination, go for a nice long walk!! I realize you are probably tired from your trip but going for a nice stroll in the new place will help familiarize yourself with the area around you and give you a chance to get in a bit of exercise! If you are one of our thousands of runners you can even take a quick run around the area!
- Once you have reached your vacation destination make sure you continue sticking with your goals as much as you can! Choose healthy food options while dining out and find things to do while on vacation that will help keep your whole family active and moving!
While enjoying your vacation season make sure you are keeping in mind the goals you set out to accomplish at the beginning of the year, are goals that will carry you through for the rest of your life….including vacations!! Enjoy your time away from routine and normal life, but don’t throw everything away that you have worked for!!
Have a wonderful summer and enjoy the wonders of the world around you!!