Over the past few weeks I have felt beyond stressed. While I was talking with my husband about some things he told me that my priorities are all out of whack. I want to deny it, but in reality I know he’s right.
There, I said it!! I hope he reads this post so he can see that I actually agreed with him once! Getting my priorities to be in line with what needs to be done, what should be done, and what I want done has been a big issue for me this entire year. I try to prioritize things but then something comes up and knocks it off kilter. Am I the only one this happens to??
As this year is coming to an end, I decided I wanted to start making some changes to my lack of prioritizing, so I made a few decisions that I had hoped would help me get things to come into alignment. I signed up for FitKnitChick’s 21-Day Re-Bootcamp and was all set to start off strong. This past week was to be my reprioritizing week, and I was prepared to make a difference in my month, by starting off by only scheduling 15 minutes a day of “scheduled” exercise and journaling. I set out to do it first thing in the morning, so I could make sure I got it done. BUT,
there’s that nasty word again!! I started off with over scheduling my week with many late night events. I thought to myself, “that’s okay, all I need to do is give myself 15 minutes at the end of the day (mistake number two million-it should be done first thing in the morning so nothing else gets in the way) and I will have this down.” Monday I didn’t get up as early as I wanted to, but went ahead and got my workout and quick journal entry done. Tuesday morning, I had to be out of the house very early for a class for my son, so I skipped doing my morning workout, but when I got home in the afternoon, I managed to squeeze in 15 minutes and did it. Tuesday night I didn’t make it to bed till very late and so Wednesday, I overslept so I didn’t get the workout done. Wednesday I was out till nearly midnight, with my ten year old son, and I still hadn’t done several things that I had on my list to do for the night. By the time I got him settled into bed, I was beyond exhausted, but was determined to get my 15 minutes of exercise and journaling done. I sat down with my pen and paper and dosed off. I jerked awake and decided that I could do my 10 minutes of exercise and I honestly tried, but I couldn’t even focus on what I was supposed to do. “Forget it, it’s 1 a.m. and I need to go to sleep”, I told myself. I decided I would wake up and do it right away. Oops, that didn’t happen, either. As soon as I woke up, 2 hours after I wanted to be up and moving, I had to do something else. I decided as soon as I had a few minutes, later that day I would sit down and do my 10 minutes of exercise and journaling. The problem here is that I didn’t sit down all day (except for in the car) till I got home at 10:30 p.m.!! And of course, I had to get my son to bed, and everything else I needed to do at the end of the day for the household. Once again, it was 1:00 a.m. before I got to bed.
Are you seeing a pattern here? It’s a crazy time of the year for most of us!! We get up at the crack of dawn (or go to bed at the crack of dawn and need to sleep half the day away) and go, go, go all day long. My point is, I need to make exercise and ME a priority! I need to make sure I am getting enough sleep, so that I can get up at a decent time, so that I don’t feel like I am already behind in my schedule when I crawl out of bed. This will help me when I make the decision to exercise first thing in the morning, because then it will already be complete. And then at the end of the day, when I haven’t “done it all” at least I can say, I’ve done my exercising for the day!
Here’s my proposed schedule to better prioritize ME for the rest of December:
- Go to bed by 12 midnight. This will only work if I am home early enough to make sure it happens. NO MORE LATE NIGHTS FOR ME!
- Set alarm and get out of bed, by 8 a.m. (I’m lucky and on most days of the week, I can sleep till 8 a.m.) There are a few days this month that this isn’t the case. On Tuesdays, I have to be out of bed by 6:30 a.m. so that means on Monday nights I need to go to bed earlier! This Thursday, I have to be on the road, with my son by 7:15 a.m. so I will need to be out of bed no later than 6 a.m. (I know that I am fortunate and I know he is, too!) We are night owls and don’t function well before 8 a.m. but on occasion we have to make exceptions to our rules!!
- Do my 15 minutes of exercise and journaling right away!! Don’t let anything come between me and the floor where I need to exercise!! (I have to ignore my phone, email, WWF app, Facebook, etc. for those 15 minutes!)
- Take care of my morning routine AFTER I do my exercises. Breakfast for the family and myself and my shower, etc can wait till I spend 15 minutes for myself!
- Take care of everything else for the day.
- Don’t over-schedule my evenings!! Make sure both my husband and son get to bed early enough, so that I can get to bed early enough, too!
- Make sure I have some down time in the evening! (I don’t know about you, but I NEED some down time every day!!)
- Read a little before going to bed; even if it’s just a page or two. It helps relax me and that’s what I need before going to sleep. Use the essential oil that helps me sleep. (Both of these help me sleep. Odd ball that I am, it works and I need to remember to do them both before getting into bed, not AFTER getting in the bed!)
How do you need to prioritize your schedule for this month? Are you taking the time to relax and focus on you, even though you are super busy? You are important, too! Now is the time to refocus and set you up as a priority! As the above quote from Gandhi says, “Action expresses priorities”, we just need to put the right action to the priority!