I’ve seen these types of posts before in my travels around the interwebs and figured why not share my own list. These are the 10 commandments of weight loss I try to keep all the time. Emphasis on try! Sometimes they come easy. Many times they do not. But for me, it’s a good list of things that increase my chances of success on this journey of health and fitness we all are on in one way or another.
So, without further ado….
10 Commandments of Weight Loss
- Thou shalt always walk as if in a rush to catch a bus. Whether it’s around the neighborhood, down the hallway to Conference Room B, or across campus to that philosophy class, hustle hustle hustle!
- Thou shalt never decline an invitation to join someone in any activity. Whether it’s a group of friends going rollerblading or throwing a Frisbee around, a neighbor looking for company as she walks her dog, someone needing to fill a spot for a relay race, say YES!
- When dining out, thou shall choose to partake of just ONE of the following to accompany thy dinner: bread from the breadbasket, alcoholic beverage or dessert. For example, if you crave dessert, have it, but forgo the wine and breadbasket.
- Thou shall set out thy workout clothes the night before. For an additional mini commandment, thou shall sleep in thy workout clothes (yep, it’s been known to happen but it is the one thing that truly works in getting me out the door in the morning).
- Thou shall limit one’s coffee intake to one cup at home while getting ready for work in the morning and consume water on the commute to and from work. This is a guaranteed way to squeeze some water into your routine.
- Thou shall not have any seconds at dinner. Save them for tomorrow’s lunch or dinner.
- Thou shall not compare your journey to anyone’s. Nor your pace, race times, maximum weight on a bench press, backhand swing, long jump, breast stroke or butterfly. None of it. This is YOUR journey.
- Thou shall eat no food at any time that thy does not like. This journey is hard enough. Why suffer?!
- Thou shall make no phone calls in thy car. A, it’s dangerous and B, save those calls for when you can do some “Active Talking” – meaning pacing back and forth while yacking away.
- Thou shall never give up. EVER!!!!!
Do you have any commandments you’d like to share? Something that has become one of your standard “rules?”
Let’s hear ’em! Hit us up in the comments!