As I mentor our rookie runners through Couch to 5k training, one thing becomes apparent. We are often reluctant to push ourselves outside of our comfort zone. We are a good 3 weeks into this training cycle now and how many of you have looked ahead at weeks 4 or 5 and though,t “There is no way I can run for xxx minutes!” Are you stuck in your comfort zone? You’ve discovered you can run for 90 seconds or 2 or 3 minutes and you are comfortable with that, but you think you can’t possibly run for double that or more.
I’m here to tell you that you CAN. The key to success is to push yourself outside of that comfort zone or you will never be as successful as you want to be.
Here are a few tips to help push you outside your comfort zone:
- Make a plan. With the C25K program, your plan is built for you. You need to trust that it works and go for it. So many people think they need to repeat weeks but honestly, the vast majority of you are ready to move on, you just don’t believe you are.
- Enlist a friend. Sometimes making change isn’t as scary if you have someone there to support you. Your sisters here at Shrinking Jeans are definitely “with” you, whether you are trying C25K, adding in strength training for the first time, or working to change your eating habits.
- Don’t expect perfection. We all slip up from time to time. Accept that it happens, learn from it, and move on.
- Think positively and avoid negative self-talk. Yes, this is probably the hardest for me to do. My Inner Mean Girl is my worst enemy and I struggle every day to tell her to Shut the Eff Up. Use affirmations such as “yes, I can do this”, “I am stronger than I think I am”, etc. Picture yourself making it to your goal.
- Reward yourself. Once you get past that fear to try something new, reward yourself for your success. Maybe it’s a pedicure, downloading a new book to your Kindle, some new lip gloss. Whatever works for you.
How about you? Do you have any tips to help get out of that comfort zone and make the magic happen?