I wish everyday were a weekend day. I could get up at my leisure, sip my coffee and start my workout mid-morning.
But that’s not reality, and I didn’t win that bazillion dollar Powerball jackpot a couple weeks ago, so like a lot of you, I have to go to work.
I’m a self-declared NOT morning person. I set my alarm and then hit snooze about 4 times. I hate getting up. I’m fairly certain that I’m still 90% asleep when I step in the shower.
So, that would leave after work to fit your work outs in, right?
The nice thing about having a workout partner, or a group class is that it is an appointment that you are less likely to skip workouts. But what if you work out alone, and have your own training program?
I frequently found myself saying, “I’ll work out after work.” Only to get home, tired from my day and come up with a million excuses NOT to workout. Then I would sit on the couch and beat myself up for being a slacker. I’d promise myself I would be better tomorrow. But tomorrow would come and I would do the same thing. What a vicious cycle!
I was one of those, “I could NEVER get up early and workout before work” people. There was no way.
Or was it just another excuse?
In January, I decided to start waking up super early 2 days a week and getting my workout in before I went to work. WOW! How come no one ever told me?! I’ve totally changed my mind about working out first thing in the morning!
Here are 5 of MY best reasons to work out in the morning:
- Consistency – I am more consistent. I’ve actually missed less workouts since I switched to early am workouts. Perhaps it’s because I have less excuses – maybe because your brain is still asleep, but if you get up and workout immediately, you give your brain less time to come up with excuses or “reasons” to skip it.
- Less people at the gym – I don’t really have to worry about whether I’m going to have to wait for the treadmill at 4:45am. There are far fewer people up and working out in the morning. I never liked the crowded gym and working in on the squat rack. I prefer to get in, kill my workout, and get out. Waiting isn’t my favorite thing to do when I’m trying to get my fitness on. If you like the idea of a far less crowded gym… go before 5am!
- Holy energy! – I might actually be one of those annoyingly energetic morning people. Well on my workout mornings. And that feeling keeps going all day long!
- Better food choices – I’ve noticed that I’ve been making better food choices all day, since I moved my workouts to the mornings. Maybe getting my workout done is just setting a healthier tone for the whole day.
- Guilt free evenings! – It is so amazing to get home from work and feel zero guilt about how I’m going to spend my evening. It could be playing Exploding Kittens with my son, or just sitting on the couch after dinner! I can relax and unwind after work knowing that my workout has already been killed for the day! Basically, you’ve just freed up your after work time to do whatever you want! You won’t have to choose between social time with friends and your workout!
BONUS REASON: I’m happier all day – I have noticed a marked difference in my mood on the days I workout first thing in the morning. I think it has to do with feeling proud of myself for accomplishing my workout, and that carries into the day. Those happy endorphins you get from exercising are awesome!
If you are a morning exerciser, comment below and tell everyone what you’ve learned about how working out in the morning is so awesome! If you have thinking about switching to mornings, I hope I’ve given you some compelling reasons to make the switch!