This weekend I did something that made me feel pretty dang proud of myself… I ran 5 miles in under 50 minutes and then I went to Crossfit and did the scaled version of the Crossfit Open Games workout 16.1.
This workout was the longest 20 minutes ever. But I just kept going. I didn’t give up. I was hard and I knew I would be seriously sore afterwards. I just kept moving. At the end of the 20 minutes, I had done a total of 350 feet of walking lunges holding a 35 pound barbell, 56 burpees and 56 jumping pull-ups.
I ended up with a score of 182. I was hoping for a score of 130. So even though I’m ranked 27 out of 33 in my gym, I still feel like a badass!
But it’s not Crossfit that makes me a badass.
My definition of badass:
- Feeling proud of an accomplishment
- Awesome to an extreme level
- Tough, uncompromising
- Never say quit attitude
To me, if you are doing something that makes you glow with pride in yourself, that just makes your self-confidence soar, then you have done something that makes you a badass!
Here are 5 ways that my fitness program makes me feel like a badass:
- Working out in the mornings – It might seem like a weird reason to feel like a badass, but getting my workout done before most people get out of bed, is an amazing feeling. I start my day with a feeling of accomplishment! (See my post about why working out in the morning is so awesome!)
- Reaching new fitness milestones – Getting a PR (personal record) is a surefire way to get me feeling like a badass! Running a little faster on a training run than I did last week, or completing a heavier lift than I have in a while. It gives me an overwhelming sense of pride. It’s like tangible proof that my fitness program is working and that I’m getting faster and stronger. (Which happen to be my goals.)
- Pushing myself – I want to be better than I was yesterday. Faster. Stronger. These are things that give me a sense of accomplishment. When I push myself and am faster, or lift heavier, I feel like a badass!
- Finding a fitness program that I love – I’ve tried a lot of different programs. I stumbled on to running when I was trying to earn more Weight Watchers Activity POINTS back in 2007. I didn’t expect to fall in love with running, but I did! Then I found circuit training in 2009, and fell in love with that too! Finding a program you love, that you actually want to do, will not only make you feel like a badass, but it will help keep your interest longer! I mean, everyone knows it’s harder to maintain a program they don’t really like.
- Learning about nutrition and how to fuel my body – When I finally started taking control of this portion of my life, the amount of confidence I gained was incredible! I learned about the different formulas to calculate daily calorie goals. I learned about protein, carbs and fats. I learned about eating whole healthy foods. I learned what works for someone else might not work for me. Learning balance and not quitting on myself in this part of my life (which has always been my biggest obstacle), has most certainly left me feeling like a badass!
Everyone can do things in their lives to feel this kind of self-confidence and badassery.
Most importantly: Don’t compare your badassness with anyone else’s! There is enough badassery to go around for all of us!
What makes YOU feel like a badass? Share with us!