You have every intention of getting out for a run…but then you get that automated call at 5 am saying “school is closed due to inclement weather conditions”. Yippee!!! (or Really?!! depending on your perspective.) What can you do when you
turn off your alarm wake up to conditions like this? Yep – that’s what I woke up to on March 1st and it didn’t stop snowing the whole day. Isn’t spring something like 20 days away?!? Anyhoo…After I whined bragged to my Florida resident daughter about my snow day, and she threw 78* and sunny in my face, I decided I needed a new workout plan.
So what are some easy options when the weather, or life, thwarts your outdoor workout intentions?
Snow Day Workout Ideas
- Hit up shrinkingjeans.net! A quick search for our Monthly Workout Calendars will give you TONS of no-equipment options. I opened up our March Madness challenge and got to work. Burpees, crunches, lunges, dips, and more made up a great workout for me.
- Dig out those workout DVDs. You know you have some! Push the couch out of the way and go to town. The other day I threw in a wii workout and had a great sweat session. Little kids at home? Invite them to dance along with you!
- Make up your own routine. Start with some cardio – maybe jumping jacks or butt kicks to get your blood pumping, then add in 1-2 strength moves for each major body part: pushups, lunges, squats, planks, glute bridges. You get the idea. 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions will get your sweat on. Finish with some stretching.
- Hit the foam roller. Admit it, you’ve been neglecting your old friend.
- On Demand. Many cable and satellite subscriptions contain a ton of on demand workouts. Don’t have a TV? Check out YouTube. Search “30 minute workout” or “strength training no equipment” and you’ll have choices for days.
- Embrace it! Sometimes a snowy or rainy run are just what the endorphins doctor ordered. Throw on the right gear for the elements and have fun with it.
- I almost forgot the most obvious workout – go shovel the stuff!
You know what they say, “Necessity is the mother of invention.” Just because the weather isn’t what you’d hoped doesn’t mean you can’t get your sweat on. Have a favorite “emergency” home-based workout? Share the wealth and let us know about it in the comments!