As of four days ago, it was officially Spring (although reports in some parts of the country *ahem New England* are not quite so Spring-like). Hopefully you are starting to see signs that the weather is turning towards the warmer. For many of us, this change of seasons is like a rebirth after being cooped up inside all winter long. Even if you’ve been toughing it out with outdoor workouts throughout Winter, this is the perfect time of year to spring clean your workout routine.
13 Ways to Spring Clean Your Workout Routine
- Have you been in a rut of treadmill runs and hours on the elliptical? Get your booty outside! Venture back into the great outdoors now that the risk of slipping on the ice has subsided. Check out the parks near you or find a new trail.
- Update your gear. Spring is a great time to update to a new pair of running shoes as you kick off your Spring season, especially if you’ve been running in the same pair since Fall, or heaven forbid LAST Spring. Remember, running shoes have a lifespan of 300-500 miles so assess the wear on yours and start fresh if you can. Best to begin your training cycle healthy rather than with an injury from broken down shoes. Feeling like really splurging? Cap off those new shoes with some new workout clothes.
- Literally Spring Clean. Take a weekend, open all your windows, and scrub your house from top to bottom. Not only will you get a great workout but you’ll rid your house of all the germs that have been lingering all winter. After being sick for the past couple weeks, I can’t wait to have it warm enough here in Michigan to do just this.
- Schedule a physical. If you coordinate your yearly doctor visits to springing forward with your clock, you will be less likely to forget.
- If you are heading outside now for your workouts, don’t forget to protect your skin. Sunscreen is a must year-round but especially now if your skin hasn’t been exposed to daylight for the past 4 months. A great, waterproof/sweatproof sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 is highly recommended.
- While you are stocking up on sunscreen, hit the pharmacy for any allergy medications you may find yourself needing this time of year. Along with those beautiful flowers and budding trees comes tons of pollen. Prevent the allergies before they start and your workouts will be much more enjoyable.
- Try something new. Have you always wanted to check out that yoga studio or boot camp class, now is the perfect time to mix things up. Or you can even check out our free online 6-week bootcamp!
- Sign up for a race. There are so many 5ks and 10ks this time of year and the weather is usually perfect for racing. Have your sights set on something bigger? 10 weeks from now is early June and it’s not too hot for a half marathon! This is the time to start thinking about a fall marathon as well.
- Pick up a new sport and enlist your friends to join you. Tennis, golf, volleyball, or even frisbee are great calorie burns and get you outside enjoying the beautiful weather with friends.
- Stay hydrated. Remember as the temps increase so does your sweat production. You will probably need more fluids during your workouts than you’ve been consuming all winter.
- Clean out your pantry. Now is the time to get rid of the Valentine’s candy and Girl Scout cookies I know you have stashed in there somewhere. Take them to work if you have to.
- Hit up the farmer’s markets. Very soon, the freshest produce you can find will be coming and what’s better than supporting your local growers! Maybe you’ll even find a new favorite fruit or veggie.
- Make a plan and stick with it. Write your workouts on the calendar. Meal plan and meal prep if you haven’t done that before. Find an accountability partner and you can both be on your way to a happy and healthier Summer.
I know I’m looking forward to breaking out of my Winter rut with some Spring weather, outdoor runs and BASEBALL. What are you most looking forward to about Spring having sprung? Share the ways you plan to spring clean your workout routine!