This recipe is for our very first recipe carnival! I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Comfort Foods – Diet cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3T lime juice
- 1T chili powder
- 1C frozen corn
- 1C chunky salsa
- 12 fat-free flour tortillas (6 inches, warmed)
- sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, optional
- Place the chicken in a 3 quart slow cooker. Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken. Cover nd cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred and return to the slow cooker. Stir in corn and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, cheese, and shredded lettuce.
Yield: 12 tacos
Nutrition: 1 taco (calculated without sour cream and cheese) equals 148 calories, 2 g fat, 31 mg cholesterol, 338 mg sodium, 18 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
I used more lime juice than called for, approximately 3 small limes worth, and a tad more chili powder. I also omitted the corn and salsa step, and I’m sorry I did. While the chicken had wonderful flavor, I think cooking it on low for 5-6 hours was a little much. I’ll probably cook it for 2-3 hours next time and add the salsa as directed. The chicken turned out just a little dry, but after adding salsa and FF sour cream to the taco, it wasn’t too bad!
I also used corn tortillas instead of FF flour because I prefer them. I did buy the FF flour and when I tried to heat them in a pan on the stove, they fell apart! So the corn were much better and you get 2 corn for the same calories as 1 FF flour.
I served the tacos with some homemade Spanish rice and a spinach and tomato salad with red wine vinegar, a dash of olive oil and some season salt & pepper. My whole family loved it!
(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)