I’m normally a green bean casserole girl, but I came across this recipe and I think I might have to give it a try this year! Heck, it’s really a recipe you could use all year long.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (4 ounces) of crumbled feta cheese (you can also find the reduced fat variety!)
- Place beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place beans in ice water (to stop cooking). Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, mustard and pepper. Drizzle over beans. Add the onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and cheese.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 c equals 77 calories, 5 g fat (1 gram saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 7 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Diabetic Exchange: 1 veg 1 fat.
Source: Taste of Home Healthy Cooking, Turkey and Trimmings (guilt free) magazine. November 2009.
(Visited 169 times, 1 visits today)