Random.org generated #8 for us, so Kirsten @ Living in a Girl’s World is our WINNER!!!!!! Congratulations, hooker! We love you 🙂
We all know that keeping hydrated in the hot summer months is really important, but have you really thought about why you need to stay hydrated in the winter?
Why You’re Dry in Winter
Winter is peak season for flu and colds, illnesses that produce fever and result in extra fluid loss through the lungs. The air is also drier in winter than it is in summer, which explains why dry skin and chapped lips are so prevalent in colder weather. Indoors, heaters often suck moisture from the air.
You may not feel sweaty, but “winter activities, like skiing and shoveling snow, cause you to sweat and increase your need for water,” says Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD, chief scientist of Weight Watchers International.
Drinking too many hot, caffeinated beverages, like regular tea, coffee and hot chocolate, can actually compound the problem. Caffeine is a diuretic that can further dehydrate your body. It’s a good idea to limit yourself to three or fewer cups a day of these beverages.
But I’m Not Thirsty!
“Thirst is not a good indicator of fluid needs,” says Jackie A. Newgent, RD, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. “By the time you feel thirsty, you’re past the need for fluid replacement and on the downhill road to dehydration.”
Water is necessary to maintain a healthy body temperature, to digest food, to transport nutrients to the tissues, to remove waste and even to breathe (we lose a lot of water through exhalation, as well as through perspiration and excretion). “Water is needed for virtually every body function,” says
Newgent. “That doesn’t change just because it’s cold outside.”
An easy way to keep up with your intake? WEAR IT ON YOUR BACK. For realz, yo! This totally rad CamelBak is as listed below (straight from the manufacturer’s site):
100 oz (3 L)
200 CU IN (3.3 L)
The mountain bike enthusiast will appreciate the fact that the Lobo™ has the most hydration and storage capacity of any of CamelBak’s external fill products. A flexible, stable system, the Lobo™ is perfect for several hours of hard trail riding. Easily access the 100 oz OMEGA™ HydroTanium™ Reservoir to refill when on-the-go and carry up to 200 cubic inches of gear and essentials in secure storage spaces.
- 100 oz / 3 L OMEGA™ HydroTanium™ Reservoir with Lifetime Warranty
- Insulated reservoir pocket keeps liquid cool for hours
- Durable splash guard protects pack from mud and abrasion
- Slider SternumStrap and removable waist belt for stability
- Quick access overflow storage
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $75.00
How to enter:
- Tell us how much water you drink everyday!
- For an extra entry, follow us on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. Be sure to leave an additional comment about your tweet!
- For another entry, subscribe to our feed. Be sure to leave an additional comment letting us know you subscribed (or are already a subscriber).
- Join the ‘hood. Come on, you know you want to! And again, leave another comment and let us know you’re a member!
Now for the fine print:
- Contest ends today, November 5th, at midnight Pacific time, and it open to US & Canadian residents only!
- Winner will be chosen via random.org and announced tomorrow. Please be sure to leave your email address so we can contact you! Winner has 48 hours to claim prize, and unclaimed prized will be relisted for giveaway.
Disclosure: This giveaway is not sponsored by CamelBak. It is sponsored by your good friends and Sisters (& Brothers) in shrinkage.
Winter hydration information reprinted from Weight Watchers.
(Visited 26 times, 1 visits today)