VTNT Diary, Week 2 | Christy


Week 2 of training for the San Diego Rock N Roll 1/2 Marathon is DONE, but not without it’s own set of challenges. The weather was craptastic, cold and windy and rainy, rainy, rainy. Despite the weather, I managed to get in all of my run except 1, but I’m totally okay with that!

On Monday, I took a rest day. Tuesday I did a DVD at home, Turbo Jam Cardio Party; on Wednesday I felt like someone had beaten me with a lead pipe, but I still managed to get my Tempo run in; on Thursday I was suppose to do my 25 minute run, but it was rainy so I skipped it; Friday was jam packed, so I took a rest day; and on Saturday I did my 4 mile run.

One exciting thing that happened is I decided to join the gym so I could get in some weight training. This is HUGE for me, as I’ve never joined an actual gym before, and have actually had a gym-phobia for most of my life. I am NOT a public workout person. Plus, the gym is 74 miles from my house. HELLO! So I called to inquire, and found out they have a non-member 5-visit pass I could buy, and all my excuses flew out the window. Since I drive in to town on Mondays and sometimes Wednesdays to grocery shop and run errands, I decided that I would also hit the gym one day a week to use the weight room.

Last Wednesday was the day, and as I sat in the parking lot having a panic attack, I emailed Christie O. and Melissa for a pep talk! They were awesome! I went in, signed up for my pass, oriented myself with the layout, found the locker room, and cringed as I changed clothes while other naked women walked within 10 feet of me. ACK! Aside from the locker room freak show (and I know all that stuff is TOTALLY normal, but it’s not normal for me, and I could go on and on and on, but I don’t want to bore you), it was great! I’m so proud of myself for taking the leap!

One sad thing that happened this week, is my dog Molly, who is my constant running companion, was injured. I took her to the vet on Friday, and found out that her 11 year old hips aren’t in very good shape, and because of that, she’d strained her left knee. The vet prescribed her some doggie Celebrex and told her to take the week off from running. Thankfully she’ll be able to continue running with me, as long as she can handle it! The vet actually encouraged me to take her because it’s good for her to keep moving!

My 4 mile run, on Saturday, was great! The sun was shining, for the first time in days, the temperature was a perfect 55 degrees, and there wasn’t any wind. Total time for 4 miles was 39:39, just under 10 minutes a mile.

Check back in next week for my Week 3 TNT Diary!!