Who doesn’t love apples? They come in tons of varieties, they taste good, and they are good FOR you! Fall is quickly approaching (unless you are in ND, we are apparently going straight to winter) and it’s a great time to take your family out to gather some apples! Maybe you have apple trees in your backyard, or perhaps have an orchard near by, whatever the case, STOCK UP on apples, because it’s time for our Apple Recipe Carnival here at the Sisterhood!
- Did you know that when bought or picked ripe and immediately refrigerated, apples should keep for about 4-6 weeks? Apples will soften 10 times faster at room temperature!
An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Maybe! Apples have so many properties to enhance your health! Studies show that apples can help decrease cancer risks, heart disease, and even Alzheimer’s! Apples are an awesome source of fiber and can help satisfy your sweet-tooth!
- Apples are a natural source of health-promoting phytonutrients and antioxidants! One medium-sized apple also contains approximately 4 g of fiber! Excellent!
Apples come in all sorts of colors and each variety has characteristics that are uniquely it’s own. Let’s take a look at a few of the more popular varieties:
- Granny Smith: Bright green in color and tend to brown more slowly than other varieties. They are great in salads and hold their shape nicely when used in pies.
- Red Delicious: These apples are dark red in appearance and are best eaten raw. They are crunchy and have a thicker peel.
- Golden Delicious: This apple variety is one of my personal favorites. They taste fabulous when eaten raw and are excellent when used for baking, as well! The yellowish-green shades will be more tart, and the more buttery-colored apples will be much sweeter.
- Gala: These are typically a smaller apple with a sweet flavoring. Pale red with golden stripes. Great for eating raw or baking.
- Fuji: A larger apple, red in coloring with green undertones. These are juicy and sweet and best made into applesauce or eaten raw.
Now, whether you choose to enjoy apples’ goodness straight off of the tree or sliced into your favorite salad, there is no doubt about it… apples ROCK!
Let’s share our favorite healthy apple recipes! Post the recipes on your blog and leave a link below! Post one or five, the more the merrier! Don’t have a blog? Post them on the ‘hood and link up!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view the entire list of entered links…
(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)