Don’t keel over in shock but yes, I am here, writing a post on Shrinking Jeans. I know I know, it’s been a while. I won’t bore you with all the reasons excuses but let’s just say that I have been super busy. It feels good to be back, doing one of the things I love most to do- sharing a FANTASTIC recipe with you.
In fact, this recipe was so delicious that I had zero time to snap a picture of it. I thought about cheating and using another “bread” picture I have because I am sneaky like that, but the goody-too-shoes in me won out and well, there is no picture of this bread. But most breads look alike, don’t they? Just imagine there is a picture of a homemade loaf of bread, m’kay?
Anyhoo, this bread was just the right combination of banana, coconut and lime (except I had no limes in the fridge and substituted lemons instead and it was STILL out-of-this-world awesome). This combination of flavors made me feel as if I were on island-time and not on the “I’m a mom of three trying to juggle a move and training for an upcoming half marathon” time….no time.
This recipe won the love of my entire family, even the coconut haters and especially the large extended family we had visiting last week. Noone was immune to it and it was GONE faster than it is taking me to type this post out. This bread is to die for.
For realz, yo. You can thank me later!
Print This! Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze (source: Cooking Light)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces) …..so yeah, I ran out of flour and substituted 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 bread flour and guess what? It was STILL awesome!!!!
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used Greek honey vanilla yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons dark rum (yummy!)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
Calories: 193 (21% from fat) Fat: 4.6g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.3g) Protein: 2.9g Carbohydrate: 35g Fiber: 1.1g Cholesterol: 35mg Iron: 1mg Sodium: 179mg Calcium: 15mg