This morning, I was browsing for a recipe to share with you guys (because let’s face it, I just don’t cook that much), I came across a recipe on NBC.com from my favorite show, The Biggest Loser. I LOVE everything breakfast, but one of my favorites, sausage egg and cheese biscuits, just aren’t that healthy. I came across this recipe today that I think will be a great substitute without losing any of the taste that I love so well! Have you tried this? Is it yummy? I can’t wait to give it a go!
- Olive oil spray
- 4 ounces extra-lean fully cooked smoked turkey sausage or kielbasa (5 grams fat or less per 2- ounce serving), diced
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 16 large egg whites
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Spray a large, shallow microwave-safe bowl with spray. Add the egg whites and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly mist the skillet with the olive oil spray. Add the sausage or kielbasa, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the sausage is heated through and the onion is tender but not browned.
- Meanwhile, spray a large, shallow microwave-safe bowl with the spray.
- Add the egg whites and cover the bowl with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Uncover the bowl and, using a fork, push the cooked portions of the whites into the middle of the bowl, letting the runny, uncooked parts run toward the outer edge.
- Re-cover the bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until the egg whites are just a bit runny on top. Uncover, then using a fork, stir the whites to break into large “scrambled” pieces. By the time you scramble and stir them, the residual heat should have cooked away the runniness. If they are still undercooked, re-cover and continue cooking in 10-second intervals until just done (be careful not to overcook).
- Add the scrambled egg whites and the tomato to the sausage mixture. Stir well to slightly warm the tomatoes and incorporate the egg whites. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the scramble among 4 plates and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)