Today, I feel like I need to talk about water. Partly for you all, and partly as a reminder for me.
I have to admit, I am pretty much the worst at remembering to drink water. And when I do, I don’t like it. My normal scenario is basically realizing that I haven’t had any water all day at um…about 9:00 pm. Then I guzzle as much as I can handle, knowing I’ll be up several times during the night to visit the bathroom.
True story, guys. Right now I’m staring at a massive glass of water – the first water I’ve had all day. Yikes.
So right now, I’m going to try to scare myself into drinking more water.
Maybe it’ll help you too!
Water is important because:
- Water protects your tissue, spinal cord and joints.
- Water helps your body remove waste.
- Water aids in digestion.
- Water prevents you from becoming dehydrated. Being dehydrated is bad, okay?
How do you know if you’re getting enough water? There are many different ideas – the old 8 glasses a day recommendation, or that if you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated. I’m sure drinking 8 glasses a day is ideal, but realistically, doesn’t always happen. Basically, if you’re unsure about your hydration, let your pee be your guide. The clearer, the better.
Now, the tricky part. You know you need more water, but ugh. It’s boring. And inconvenient.
But it doesn’t have to be. Make it more appealing, people!
- Spruce it up with sliced lemons, limes or cucumber slices. Or, if you’re feeling really fancy, fresh herbs, like rosemary or mint.
- Find yourself a special vessel (I rhymed that – you’re welcome). It doesn’t have to be fancy – my two faves are my Sigg bottle and a huge glass I saved from the recycle bin at my old job. Seriously. It’s huge – something like 28 ounces – and for some reason, encourages me to drink more.
- Leave water in places you’ll drink if it’s convenient. For me, it’s my car. I try to leave a water bottle or two in the console of my car – I am always surprised at how much water I’ll drink when I’m shuttling my kids around. Plus, it helps keep me away from the espresso stands.
Water. It’s so important. And with that, I’m off to
pee refill my glass. Cheers!
Photo courtesy of superpco
(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)