While Thanksgiving is all about the turkey for most people, sweet potatoes are my favorite dish on Thanksgiving. Really, I love all the food, but mashed sweet potatoes are the ones that do it for me.
I’m the only one in my family of 4 who eats sweet potatoes – for real. Growning up, they were staple on the holiday table, all covered in brown-sugary-butter-marshmallowy goodness. Everyone ate them, so I’m not really sure what’s up with my kids. It must be some defective gene they got from my husband.
So each year, I make a single serving of my beloved sweet potatoes, only now, I’ve lightened the recipe up, because hello, brown-sugary-butter-marshmallowy goodness is not really so good for your butt.
This year Country Crock challenged me to create my favorite Thanksgiving side using one of their products instead of butter. While Country Crock has a lot of great choices, including flavored spreads, I knew that Country Crock Light, with 0 grams of trans fat, was just what my butt, I mean sweet potatoes, needed! And while Iwas jazzing things up a little, I decided to make my sweet potatoes in a mashed version.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Country Crock Light
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of Country Crock Light
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar + more for sprinkling
- 8 walnut or pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk, or regular milk
- Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly and pierce with a fork several times. Wrap in damp paper towels and on a microwave safe plate, cook in the microwave for 8 minutes. Check for doneness by piercing with fork. BE CAREFUL not to burn yourself!
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, put 2 tablespoons of Country Crock Light in a small skillet and cook over medium heat until melted. Add walnuts and brown sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half, scoop insides into a bowl and mash to desired consistency. Add in butter and brown sugar mixture and stir together.
- Top with additional nuts and sprinkled brown sugar.
Calories 158 • Total Fat 9.0g • Saturated Fat 2.6g • Cholesterol 0mg • Sodium 48mg • Total Carbohydrates 17.4g • Dietary Fiber 2.7g • Sugars 2.8 • Protein 2.8g • Vitamin A 6% • Vitamin C 11% Calcium 1% • Iron 4%
Here are some great recipes for you to try from The Crock Country Chronicle In The Kitchen! I think the Cranberry-Orange Spiced Green Beans look delish!
To celebrate the upcoming Turkey day, we are giving away a great baker and some super-cute candle holders to spruce up your table!
Harvest Pumpkin Tiny Taper Holders, Set of 4 from William’s Sonoma
Italian Scalloped Bakers, 10″ x 6″ with a 13” Wire Baker Rack from Sur la Table
To win, leave a comment telling us your favorite Thanksgiving side dish! We’ll choose a winner randomly on November 10th. Please make sure we have some way of contacting you if you win……email, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest handle, etc.
Thank you to Country Crock for being a sponsor. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All opinions expressed here are my own.
(Visited 1,680 times, 1 visits today)