Eat Clean. It’s a catchy phrase, but what exactly does it mean? To be succinct, eating clean means fresh, whole foods. It means consuming foods found in nature instead of manufactured in a science lab. It means eating food that is free of additives, preservatives, hormones, GMO ingredients, and pesticides. It means eating foods that nourish your body instead of harm your health.
Even though nutrition is an ever-changing science, these are my constant Top 10 Tips for Eating Clean.
1. Eat foods without labels. It’s that simple. Real food has only 1 ingredient.
2. If food has its own TV commercial, leave it at the grocery store. You’ll notice broccoli and apples don’t have their own marketing campaign.
3. Ban hydrogenated oil from your grocery cart, kitchen cupboards, and mouth.
4. If you can’t pronounce ingredients, don’t eat them. If your mouth can’t speak them, your body can’t digest them.
5. If you do consume packaged foods, opt for one’s with less than 5 ingredients.
6. Of those 5 ingredients, throw out any with sugar, white flour, artificial sweeteners, white rice, and high fructose corn syrup listed as one of the ingredients.
7. Stick to coconut oil and olive oil for cooking. Highly processed oils, like corn and soy based oils are toxic to your body.
8. Remove artificial sweeteners, preservatives, additives, and food dyes from your diet. They cause gas, belly fat, slow metabolism, and food addiction.
9. HYDRATE! Drink ample amounts of water daily.
10. If it grows on a plant, eat it. If it came from a factory, throw it out! As Michael Pollen says: “If it was grown on a plant, not made in a plant, then you can keep it in your kitchen.”
Obviously there are times when items from the list above sneak through. As long as you ensure these times are the exception and not the rule, your weight, energy, skin tone, and overall health will flourish.
When you open your mind and your kitchen to clean eating, the possibilities are endless! Let the abundance of fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts, whole grains, and lean protein inspire and energize you!
(Visited 3,240 times, 3 visits today)