I love the gym. In fact, before I took up running, I spent the majority of my exercise time at a gym. Why do I love the gym?
- Free childcare
- Variety of classes offered
- Variety of equipment
- Trainers to ask questions
But really, it was the variety (and the free childcare) that made me coming back for more.
However, there is a side of the gym that isn’t so pretty. I am not a germaphobe by any means, and I don’t get squeamish easily, however there are some things (and people) that give me the heebie-jeebies.
12 Things That Gross Me Out at the Gym
- People you see in the bathroom skipping the all important hand-washing at the sink lifting the same weights as you two minutes later.
- Watching the guy next to you on the treadmill sweat ALL over the machine and NOT wiping it down with the convenient handi-wipes located next to it.
- People walking barefoot from one place to another.
- Those who are sneezing and coughing and whatnot all over everything….and not wiping it clean.
- Sweat. Everywhere.
- Finding a used condom in the locker room (this did not happen to me but to someone I know).
- Using the communal shower when you forget your flip flops. And yes, I forgot my flip flops once and took a shower with my bare feet. I KNOW.
- Those who spend too much time walking around naked in the locker room (put your darn clothes on- this is a request from Christy!).
- Speaking of the locker room and nakedness, what about seeing naked folks SITTING on the locker room benches? Yes, I know it’s a bench and benches are meant for sitting, BUT (ha ha), how many other bare butts and other body parts have sat on that same bench?
- The hot tub. Oh my. So many strangers all sitting in the hot tub, all day long. Before a workout, after a workout. Sweat, dead skin, hair and other stuff. You know the bubbles you see in a hot tub are not just bubbles, right?
- Gym mats, a cesspool of sweat and germs and more sweat.
- Hocked lugies into the water fountain. Why oh why would someone spit their snot into a public water fountain?
Really, it all boils down to people being respectful and courteous towards others and practicing simple hygiene that benefits all, doesn’t it?
I know some of you must have your own experiences of things that gross you out at the gym.
Share your top ‘gross out at the gym’ moments in the comments below!
(Visited 4,194 times, 1 visits today)