July 4th weekend is upon us and this year, as we all know, the 4th falls on a Saturday, which means some of us very well could be celebrating the entire weekend.
Am I right or am I right?
In an effort to get us through the weekend without gaining 10lbs, I bring you 8 Tips for a Healthy Fourth of July:
- Try as hard as you can to squeeze in a workout in the morning. Seriously, this will get your heart pumping, burn some calories and set a good tone for the day.
- Limit the cocktails and say NO to any sugary drinks. No soda, no lemonade. If you must have an alcoholic beverage, then do some research beforehand and find some lighter options. Don’t go crazy and guzzle the margaritas like there is no tomorrow. Here is a how many calories are in your drink!
- Make sure to eat throughout the day- do not *save* your calories for the big party. That is a sure recipe for overindulgence. Instead, ensure you eat several meals throughout the day, including lean protein, greens, fruits and healthy fats.
- If you are throwing a party or going to a party, volunteer to bring something and then make sure that *something* is healthy. My favorite is to bring a veggie tray, fruit tray or to make a fresh salad. The food always disappears! You canS also find some awesome cook-out recipes here.
- Drink tons of water. This seems like a no brainer but it isn’t. You have to keep your body hydrated, especially if you are outside in the heat, drinking any kind of alcoholic beverages, and eating salty foods. Just do it, please. Dehydration leads to cravings and it isn’t cravings of the healthy kind!
- Load your plate up with the healthier stuff (if possible). Limit the bad stuff. I don’t need to go into detail here- you know what I mean. Exhibit portion control.
- Journal every single morsel you put into your mouth, then you will be more likely not to overdo it.
- Use sunscreen on you and the kids, even on a cloudy day. Noone wants a sunburn and it’s easy to forget the sun when you are having a good time. So put on the sunblock, throw on a hat and sunglasses and stay covered.
Go forth and enjoy this day with friends and family – have yourself a fantastic July 4th weekend!
(Visited 169 times, 1 visits today)
I’m a runner, on my way to becoming a marathoner. I am 42 years old and have found a peaceful acceptance of my body. Through running, I have discovered who I am, besides a mom to three kids and a wife to one. I truly enjoy sharing my love of fitness with others while empowering and motivating women to conquer their fear of the unknown. In my spare time, I manage the Run with the Sisterhood Facebook page, work here and there for Zooma Women’s Race Series, and work part-time at our local YMCA.