May 11, 2011 By thea
I have to keep it short and sweet today, ’cause I’m on the GO! Not a horrible week, but definitely room for improvement.
But nobody’s perfect, right?
I maintained last week, which puts me at maintenance for the 14 of the last 19 weeks. WOOT! I can’t even begin to tell you how AMAZING it feels to hit a groove.
On to the goals…
- Be able to do 10 push ups from my toes – I’m done with Week 1 of the 100 Push Ups challenge, and it is TOUGH to do toe push ups. I’m going to keep on keeping on, though.
- My head will hit the pillow by 11pm during the week and by 12am on weekends. – I’m calling this one a wash. I was successful 4 out of 7 days. My husband is out of town and I always go to bed super late when he’s gone. So I didn’t get to bed until between 11:30 and 12:00 on a couple of school nights. But even that is a huge improvement, because when he’s gone I typically stay up until 1am…sometimes even 2am.
- Get in one swim workout a week – This one didn’t happen last week, but I’ve got my gear all laid out to go today and I’m headed out as soon as I hit “publish”. I’m gonna get this done! Let’s do a little cheer that my swimsuit even still fits, yo. It’s been a long time. I went once in February, and then it was October of 2010 before that. Oy. That’s bad.
May 5, 2011 By thea
I’m a little behind with the May Your Way challenge, but that’s how I roll. Sometimes, sometimes gotta give and unfortunately blogging seems to be the thing that gets left behind.
But I am keeping up with all my healthy living type stuff (even if I’m not blogging about it) and I’m happy to report that I was in my weight range goal (153 – 157) BEFORE I left for the cruise, AFTER I got back, and am still in it this week. I’m going to make the giant leap to say that I was in range DURING the cruise, which brings me to the current total of 13 of the last 19 weeks have been in goal range.
WOOT!! Who maintains weight on vacation? I DO!
Which brings us to May.
I’m not sure how many other Maintainers out there have this problem, but I find one of the biggest challenges of being at goal weight is finding NEW goals to strive for. It seems like everything’s been done and I sound like a broken record. That’s honestly one of the reasons I hadn’t blogged goals for May Your Way yet…I couldn’t think of any.
But I buckled down, thought about what I wanted out of this month, and came up with three things:
- Be able to do 10 push ups from my toes – While I’ve done the 100 Push Up challenge before, I chose not to participate during the last challenge. It was in the back of my mind though, so when I heard that April and Bari were giving it a go starting this week, I jumped on board with them.
- My head will hit the pillow by 11pm during the week and by 12am on weekends. – I had been doing so well with this several months back but then I got out of the habit and never picked it back up again. I NEED SLEEP!
- Get in one swim workout a week – I’m having problems with my knee again, so I need a way to keep moving. Plus, official triathlon training starts at the end of the month (or is it the beginning of June – I should check on that) so I need to get back in the habit NOW of hauling my arse to the gym.
So that’s it for me. Better late than never, right??
April 6, 2011 By thea
Is this seriously the last week?? Wow.
I’m just doing a drive by posting…time seems to be at a huge premium these days. We’ve got birthday parties and a vacation coming up, not to mention the unplanned crap that just seems to pop up.
All that being said, I’m doing… Average. Not horribly, not awesome. I’m just holding my own.
My eating is definitely better than it was 5 weeks ago, but I’m still struggling with getting back in the workout groove. My sleeping is always falling by the wayside, which is just bad on many levels.
Does anyone else feel like that when something goes wrong, the one thing they need to get back to is the one thing that falls by the wayside?
When I’m sick, I have a tendecny to drink less water.
When I’m tired, I have a tendency to sleep less.
When I’m feeling sluggish, the last thing I want to do is work out.
It’s a vicious cycle.
March 23, 2011 By thea
It felt good to get back to it. My mood has improved dramatically over the past several days, in no small part to my March race.
I feel like I’m getting myself back to the spot I was physically a few weeks ago…which has helped my desire to fuel my body…and my desire to sleep…and my desire to have some reading downtime during the day.
It’s all connected, yo.
Food – 5 Fruits and Veggies every day, and pre-packaged snacks can’t have more than 5 ingredients. I got no less than 4 servings every day, and managed to get that 5th serving in a couple of days. I did much better with the snacking this week, too…4 out of the 7 days! Let’s pretend I didn’t makeout with peanut butter and pretzels one night, m’kay?
Fitness – 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week and 10-15 minutes of strength type stuff 5 days a week. I had a total of about 1.5 hours of cardio in this week, spread over 3 days and only 2 strength sessions. Better than last week but not where I want to be.
Fun/Focus – Read 1 or 2 chapters every day and get 7 hours of sleep every night. I got 5 chapters in this week, and I’m back to sleeping 7 hours EVERY NIGHT! Yay for antibiotics!!
March 16, 2011 By thea
What goes up must come down, right?
As amazing as Week 1 was for me, Week 2 was equally notsogreat. It wasn’t horrible, mind you. I didn’t go stark raving mad. I just do nearly as well.
Fine, I’ll just say it. I hardly met any of my goals. You happy?
A lot of obstacles stood in my way this past week. Some of them I put there myself, some of them got dropped in front of me. Either way, I didn’t handle the disruption very well.
Food – 5 Fruits and Veggies every day, and pre-packaged snacks can’t have more than 5 ingredients. Ummm, no. I got 3 F/V in every day. I even managed to get a 4th in on one day. I tanked on the snacks. Big time. I didn’t meet that goal once this week!
Fitness – 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week and 10-15 minutes of strength type stuff 5 days a week. Ummmm…no. I got 30 minutes of cardio in twice. In 7 days, I worked out twice. So sad. And I got ZERO strength sessions in. Zero. Sigh.
Fun/Focus – Read 1 or 2 chapters every day and get 7 hours of sleep every night. I only got about 4 chapters in this week. My sleeping has been abysmal. I’m not sure what the exact problem is, but I am hardly sleeping at night. And I’m a zombie during the day. I’m going to bed on time, I’m just not sleeping. It really sucks.
And so begins a new week. I’m going to make an effort to make it better. I’m the only one with the power to do it.
March 9, 2011 By thea
It’s been a while since I’ve been able to say this, but I’ve had a STELLAR week. WOOHOO! That was a long time coming.
It was tough, but I just buckled down and did it. Every day I had a choice. Hell, every meal I had a choice. And I think I did pretty daggone good.
Food – 5 Fruits and Veggies every day, and pre-packaged snacks can’t have more than 5 ingredients. I had 5 F/v on 3 days, 4 F/V on 3 days, and 3 F/V on 1 day. That’s a vast improvement over my 2-a-day habit. And I did not have one single snack all week that had more than 5 ingredients!
Fitness – 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week and 10-15 minutes of strength type stuff 5 days a week. I got 30 minutes of cardio in on 3 days and I got strength in on 4 days. Perfect? No. But progress!
Fun/Focus – Read 1 or 2 chapters every day and get 7 hours of sleep every night. 6 chapters read over 7 days and I got 7 hours of sleep EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Not all of it was restful (stupid head cold), but I was in bed for 7 hours. That’s huge.
And can I just say that my partner, Jen, is amazing? We have been e-mailing every day and I just love talking things out with her. So much of this journey is about SO MUCH MORE than food and exercise, you know? It’s good to hash things out with someone!
March 2, 2011 By thea
I kind of disappeared at the end of that last challenge, didn’t I?
NOT TO BE REPEATED THIS TIME, I ASSURE YOU!
So, I’m super-duper excited for this challenge. I have an awesome partner (everybody say hi to Jen…. HI, JEN!) and we are going to tear this challenge UP!
I’M IN LOVE WITH MY CAPS LOCK TODAY!
Anyhoo, Jen and I are choosing to not focus on that pesky little number on the scale for this challenge. I’m still cruising along in Maintenance Mode and Jen has kicked her scale to the curb because she’s focusing on her overall health.
As a team, we decided we would each come up with three goals for our self: a food goal, a fitness goal, and a fun/focus goal. Of course, we each picked more than three. : P
Here’s mine: Food – 5 Fruits and Veggies every day, and pre-packaged snacks can’t have more than 5 ingredients. Fitness – 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week and 10-15 minutes of strength type stuff 5 days a week.
Fun/Focus – Read 1 or 2 chapters every day and get 7 hours of sleep every night.
So there you have it! It’ll be a challenge to find pre-packaged foods with 5 ingredients or less, but I guess that’s the whole point right? I’m challenging myself to pay attention to what goes into my mouth. I already know of one cracker that only has 3, and I was a little crushed to find out that my favorite snack has 7 (I thought sure it only had 5), but that’s the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.
February 9, 2011 By thea
Why, oh why, did I let myself fall into the trappings of Weekend Fare and Superbowl Food?
Hell, I didn’t even go to a Superbowl party! I seriously just went to my friends house, had a martini (or two) and then made a plate of food and went home. I was there a grand total of 15 minutes.
Have you noticed that when you haven’t eaten a particular food in a really long time that when you have that food, your body is like AW, HELLZ TO THE NO! and completely revolts and Tums is your friend?
That would be the story of my weekend.
And while Monday and Tuesday wasn’t nearly as bad as the weekend, my eating and working out was not what it should have been.
So, I’m not at all surprised that I’m up a pound this week to 158.
No big deal. It happens. The key is to not let it get to 159. Nip it in the bud, I say!
1. 10 minutes of either abs or yoga in the morning before the kids get up 3 days a week. – Got it done twice.
2. Run/Walk 3 days and cross-train 2-3 days a week. – 3 runs (including 5k race) , 2 strength in, and 1 swim in.
3. One sweet a day, at the END of the day. – Not to bad with this. A few slip ups. Nothing major.
4. Limit pre-packaged foods. – I did great this week!!
February 2, 2011 By thea
I never confessed it yesterday, but I had a big bout of Emotional Eating for lunch yesterday. I went to McDonald’s and ordered a Quarter Pounder with Cheese Value Meal with a side of Cinnamon Melts.
On the way home, I realized what I had just done. Instead of cramming the food down my pie hole out of frustration (does anyone else eat faster when they are mad???) I decided to own up to my decision and enjoy my food. I slowed my eating down and savored each bite.
Did I regret it later my lunch later? Oh yeah. But there was no side of guilt to go along with it. There was no depression based on what I ate. I bought, ate it, enjoyed it, and moved on.
Heck, I even still worked out instead of giving in to that brick that was in my stomach. And I worked out hard. I ran my fastest mile ever and had a PR on the 5k distance.
As I sit here and write this, the song Defying Gravity pops into my head…
Something has changed within me Something is not the same I’m through with playing by the rules Of someone else’s game Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep It’s time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!
That’s where I am now. I’ve changed. I’ve turned a corner. I feel good. I’m happy. I’m strong.
It’s been a good week, ya’ll. A very good week, indeed. I maintained at 157.
I’ll take it.
1. 10 minutes of either abs or yoga in the morning before the kids get up 3 days a week. – DID IT! 2. Run/Walk 3 days and cross-train 2-3 days a week. – 4 runs , 3 strength, in and 1 spinning in. 3. One sweet a day, at the END of the day. – Slipped up a little bit yesterday, but I hit it every other day.!
4. Limit pre-packaged foods. – I’m still struggling a little bit at night with this one, but for the most part I’m reaching for fruits and veggies during the day inistead of chips. That’s major progress.
January 26, 2011 By thea
I’m tired, ya’ll, so this post is going to be short and sweet.
I rocked this week. And the scale responded.
Funny how that happens, right?
Anyway I’m done 1.6 pounds this week to 157! Woo to the Hoo!
Here are my goals:
1. 10 minutes of either abs or yoga in the morning before the kids get up 3 days a week. – DID IT!
2. Run/Walk 3 days and cross-train 2-3 days a week. – 4 runs in and 1 cardio in.
3. One sweet a day, at the END of the day. – NAILED IT!
4. Limit pre-packaged foods. – I slacked a little on this one, but never went overboard. Night time is the hardest for me when it comes to this.