June 16, 2010 By thea
Last week was not pretty. I stepped on the scale and there was a SIX in the number. A STINKIN’ SIX! Ugh. I took a deep breath and hoped knew it was a false gain because of those stupid ass hormones.
This week, I’m back down to 157. That puts me in range for 19/24 weeks.
I’m getting bored, though. I know this is going to sound like a sob story, but maintenance is tough. It’s like there’s nothing to work for. Your trying hard to stay the same. YIPPEE!!
So, I just need to get some mojo back. I’m not sure how. Hopefully it’ll come with the increased triathlon training. Hopefully.
June 2, 2010 By thea
Well, I’m up a pound this week and I’m a little bit confused by that. Not upset or disappointed, just confused. Bordering on concerned, but I’m not quite there yet.
I’ve been working out more, and while I’ve indulged in a few things, I definitely don’t feel like I’ve been doing it enough to jump back on the seesaw of weight maintenance.
Do you retain more water when it’s hot outside? That’s what I feel like. I feel like since the temperatures (and humidity) have jumped into the 90s, the weight has creeped back on.
Maybe that’s just an excuse. Who knows.
So, I will cut the indulgences out and I will get back down under 157 by next week.
Mark my words.
May 12, 2010 By thea
So I’m up this week and out of my range. No big deal. There are few reasons…
- Fudge on Mother’s Day
- Doritos on Mother’s Day
- The fact that I was born with 2 X chromosomes
- Snacking after 9pm (stupid chromosomes)
- No exercise
That being said, I’m doing well with my habits. I’m holding strong with at least 2 yogurts a day and at least 3-4 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. And I’m pretty sure if I added more sugar to my coffee I would die from the sweetness. That one is definitely a habit!
May 5, 2010 By thea
I realized that I never told everyone what my three habits were! DOH!
- Reduce sugar in morning coffee from 1 Tbsp to 1/2 Tbsp.
- Eat 18 oz. (3 containers) of yogurt a day.
- Eat 3 servings of fruit and 2 servings of vegetables a day.
Reducing the sugar has been simple. I was a little surprised at how little a difference it made in the taste.
Eating that much yogurt in a day proves to be challenging. I typically have a cracker/chip type snack after the kids come home from school and I keep forgetting to have a yogurt. I do have one at breakfast and one at lunch pretty easily so at least I’m getting 2/3 of my goal in!
The fruits and vegetables…I’m doing my best. I definitely get 2 fruits and 1 veggie a day, but I’m having trouble getting those other servings in. I need to buckle down on that one.
I’m within my range again this week…that makes it 16 out of 18 weeks! Woohoo!!
April 28, 2010 By thea
Oh my gosh, it takes me so long to post these days.
Anyway, I did weigh in this morning and I nearly fell off my scale.
I gained, but I only gained .8 lb. DUDE! Even after my weekend of debauchery, I am still in my healthy range!
When I saw that glorious 157 on the scale, I got the biggest old smile on my face.
So I will take a .8 lb gain. I will take it and play with it and smother it in hugs and kisses.
And just for Karena, I may serve it some fried pickles…
April 27, 2010 By thea
So I went a little crazy this weekend while I was visiting Christy and everyone in Texas. But it’s all good! It felt good to let loose and I knew that I was going to let myself go a little bit. And oh my, it was so, SO good!
I love me some Mexican. Friday night’s dinner was at a kick ass TexMex restaurant in San Antonio. OH my word, those cheese enchiladas were friggin’ awesome. They only thing that made them taste better was the Mariachi band playing in my ear.
I’m not a big drinker, but I do enjoy a drink or two every once in a while. I don’t even remember what they made me, but it was a lot more than I usually have. And I’m pretty sure fire was coming out of my ears after I had a German Chocolate Cake shot.
And then don’t even get me started on the Cheeseburger I ordered…that quickly became a Bacon Cheeseburger. The waiter (who was all different kinds of hot) got my order wrong, and I didn’t exactly argue with him. Well, technically, I did argue with him when he tried to take it away and I told him not to bother. Bacon makes everything taste better…
So those were my major transgressions this week.
Onward and upward, I say!
April 22, 2010 By thea
I love the pool. I’m a big fan of chlorine and being able to see the bottom and not swimming with other species of living things. I love playing with the kids and splashing around and seeing how far I can get underwater while holding my breath.
That being said, I’m a nervous swimmer. I know how to swim, but I’m just not all that strong. I definitely prefer breast stroke to freestyle. I know how to do freestyle, I just never learned to do it correctly. My breathing gets all messed up and I panic and I stop.
I have not swum (swam, swimmed, swim past tense) a lap in 20+ years.
But I decided that it was time to get in the pool again. I bought myself a swimsuit (as opposed to a sit-by-the-pool suit), a swim cap and some goggles. Then I printed out a copy of the gym’s lap pool schedule and put it next to my to-do list.
And there it sat for a full month. All of it. I never took the tags off of any of the stuff that I bought and I never even looked at the lap schedule.
But yesterday, I bit the bullet and did it. I packed up my stuff and headed to the pool. And I swam 200 meters. And I didn’t die. I was really happy I didn’t die.
Here are some things that I learned and some observations I had:
- I loathe locker rooms. I’ve always hated them. In high school, I was the one who changed in a stall after gym class. I don’t like disrobing in front of people…which is exactly what I did yesterday. It wasn’t until AFTER the swim that I found changing rooms that I could use. Good to know for next time.
- I need to get a cheap pair of flip flops. I fear that I have athlete’s foot growing on me as we speak because I walked through the locker room and pool deck in bare feet.
- I purposely didn’t bring my goggles and swim cap because I didn’t want to seem like the overzealous newbie who was trying to be all hard core. It turns out that I was the only one that DIDN’T have that stuff. And the fact that I wanted to claw my eyes out all day yesterday is a good indication that goggles are your friend.
- I tried the freestyle for a few strokes and didn’t do too badly. I just had to stop because (in the absence of aforementioned swim cap) my hair kept getting in my eyes and I couldn’t see where I was going.
- When in doubt, ask. Before I ever got in the water, I was asking people about stuff I wasn’t sure about. I asked another woman in the locker room (we were both dressed) what she did with her locker key while she was in the pool. When I wasn’t sure which lanes were for open swim, I asked the lifeguard on duty.
- Nothing is as scary as your mind works it up to be.
I need to figure out a schedule of how I’m going to fit swimming into my schedule (the lap times are a bit tricky), but I’m thinking that swimming is here to stay…
April 21, 2010 By thea
Oh my goodness, I almost missed it!!
Based on the changes that I made this week as far as water and candy, I was VERY happy to step on the scale this morning and see a 2.2 pound LOSS!! Yippee!!
After my little hiccup, today’s weight of 156.2 puts me at 14 weeks of keeping my weight between 153 and 157.
Let’s just pretend that I didn’t actually make any goals for this challenge, k? I didn’t do so well with tracking my goals this time around.
In fairly unrelated news, I’m going to buy a bike soon. I haven’t owned my own bike since I was in high school…5 years ago.
April 14, 2010 By thea
The good news: I maintained this week!
The bad news: I gained two pounds last week, LOL!
So, my little maintenance streak ended last week, but I wasn’t too torn up about it. I have no illusions that I am going to make it all year without a gain here or there. I figured my body was just taking a break and it was a false gain.
But when I stepped on the scale this week and it was exactly the same (158.4), I knew something was up.
The weird part is that I don’t FEEL like I’ve gone off the wagon. I’m not totally gorging myself on food. My workouts have scaled way back but I’m still doing a little something. But something has changed.
What I feel is bloated. My water is consumption is down. I’m only getting about 64 oz a day instead of my usual 96 oz. I’m not sure why I’m drinking less. I’ll have to keep an eye on that.
And as much as I don’t like running, that was when I was maintaining my weight so I have to take that into consideration.
So, here’s the new plan.
- Get my water back up to 96 oz. a day. No exceptions.
- As much as I like the Wii, it’s just not enough to be my main source of movement. I can use it for rainy days and quick fun movement. But I need hardcore cardio, I think. That means back to running and biking. And I’m still toying with the idea of boxing, but I ‘m not sure I can fit that in if I am going to do a tri program. I’m really all over the board with the exercise.
- I can’t have “treats” 3 times a day. If I have a cookie after school with the kids, I can’t have ice cream after dinner, too. I may have to break up with sugar, but I really, REALLY don’t want to. Really don’t want to.
I’m going to start there. Hopefully, I’ll see a downward trend next week!
March 31, 2010 By thea
I did it. I made it to 25%.
I’ve maintained between 153 and 157 for THIRTEEN WEEKS. I was a little surprised after the pizza fest that my scale showed a big, fit 156 when I stepped on this morning.
Aside from my kids and my marriage, I’m not sure I’ve ever done anything consistently for 13 weeks. This is huge.
I think I may cry. Or dance. Or cry while I’m dancing. Or cry while I’m dancing after doing Wii.
Life is good, ya’ll.