Whether it’s watching the newest episode of Scandal (#addicted – anyone else?), during my 6 p.m. economics class, or that lull between lunch and is-it-time-to-leave-work-yet?, I am a habitual snacker. I am a lover of munching between meals. Knowing this, I am careful to pick and choose what I nibble on so as not to pile up those calories that can lurk in vast amounts in several different snack foods.
Imagine then, my foodie fascination, when I tried Pop Art Snacks Thai Coconut Curry Popcorn. Y’all, this wasn’t just popcorn, it was little orange-y niblets of unbelievable deliciousness! A little sweet, a little smokey, a hint of spice, and oh my the curry! It was as if my taste buds had been whisked away to a tropical island. I couldn’t get enough…which is probably why I finished the bag.
I was hesitant to read the back of the packaging after I inhaled the entire 1.25 oz bag, but what I saw surprised me:
- I could read, and understand, all of the ingredients (like curry spices, turmeric, mustard, paprika, and lemongrass!)
- Serving size is 2.75 cups and the entire bag contained 1.25 servings
- Each serving is only 150 calories, meaning I finished an entire little bag of popcorn and didn’t ruin my entire day
- All ingredients are organic, non-GMO, gluten free, no trans fat, air popped, no MSG, and 100% whole grain! This one was even vegan!
Our goal is to create popcorn that is delicious, unique and healthy! We air pop organic corn and then use GMO-Free ingredients, hormone free cheeses and all natural sweeteners.
I couldn’t believe it – I had to know more about whoever had created my new favorite healthy AND flavorful popcorn. Those two creators of Pop Art Snacks turned out to be Mike and Vanessa Dobson of Salt Lake City, Utah. Right in their kitchen. That’s how they started off, anyway, in 2010. With the help of a successful KickStarter campaign, they are now able to fill orders for specialty stores and new fanatics like myself (I immediately ordered a mixed pack of their different flavors online about .027583 seconds after I finished my first bag – no joke).
In fact, I approached THEM to write a review of their popcorn because I didn’t want to be the only one who tried and loved it – it’s a secret I didn’t want to keep. (Even the packaging is bright, colorful, and inviting!)
From farmer’s markets to Whole Foods grocery stores (they might even be in your closest one!), they are gaining recognition and a fan-base right along with it. They sell six different flavors on their website, and are constantly experimenting with a plethora of flavor combinations – and guess what, they are all low in calories.
Upon sampling all of them (hold your judgment – that took at least a couple days), I have to say the Thai Coconut Curry is still my favorite. Not a curry fan? The White Cheddar Jalapeno and Rosemary Truffle were my close seconds and might be right up your taste bud alley. I am simply amazed at the flavor profiles of these popcorns – none are lacking in taste, texture or umami. This ain’t your regular run-of-the-mill-add-extra-salt-and-whatever-else-to-make-it-at-least-taste-like-something popcorn. This is a popcorn revolution. The White Cheddar Jalapeno started off subtle, and then surprised with a little kick of spice at the end. The Rosemary Truffle encompasses two of my favorite flavors – it’s definitely more heavy on the rosemary than the truffle (like that stopped me).
The next three flavors (not the last, because I truly did enjoy each and every one of them) are:
- White Pepper Parmesan – uses imported pepper berries from Indonesia that they then grind into powder
- Tandoori Yogurt – made with non-fat yogurt, tandoori spices, lemon peel, beet powder, tomato powder, paprika and garlic
- Nori Sesame – made with real toasted seaweed and roasted sesame seeds
Because I am SUCH a fan and wanted to spread the word, Mike and Vanessa of Pop Art Snacks are offering a 25% discount on any purchase to all our readers: simply enter “sisterhood” at checkout.
Additionally, they are doing a Pop Art Snacks Giveaway to some lucky readers!
- Go to their Facebook Page and ‘Like’ them. AND/OR
- Follow them on Twitter @PopArtSnacks. AND
- Leave a comment on this post on OUR Facebook Page or comment on this post on OUR Website letting us (and them) know which flavor you’d like to try! #PopArtSisterhood
- BONUS: Share this post OR the Pop Art Snacks website on your Facebook
They’ll reach out to some lucky winners! We would also love to know what you think once you’ve experienced the flavor collision of Pop Art Snacks!
I freely purchased my Pop Art Snacks order and was not coerced or approached in any way to write a review. As previously stated, I reached out to the company. I have no affiliation or relation with Pop Art Snacks and have not been offered any sort of payment or in-kind gifts upon completion of this review. All thoughts are my own.