The winner of Galloway’s Book on Running is Audrey and the winner of Marathon: You Can Do It is “Gmstep”. Ladies, please email [email protected] with your home addresses so that I may get those books in the mail to you. Congrats!
Are you a beginner runner? Expert runner? Never ran before but thinking about it?
I started running as a form of exercise in October 2009 because of The Sisterhood. You see, I never had any desire to run (running makes me sore and I breathe heavy and I sweat A LOT- ewwww) and I was highly resistant to any mention of running (the only time I run is to get to the dinner table- HA!). However, I took on the 5K challenge with the Sisterhood and found that I love to run. However, I really don’t know what I am doing as far as running goes- what shoes to wear, HOW to run, how long, how to stretch, how to avoid injuries, what would be best to eat prior to and after a run and on and on and on.
Because of not really knowing what I am doing, I injured myself in December and had to take some time off to let my leg heal. During that time, I spoke with a runner friend of mine about all of this and she suggested that I purchase Galloway’s Book on Running, that it would answer all my questions about running and then some.
That book purchase was one of the smartest things I could have ever done. Knowledge is power, right?
Anyhoo, I absolutely love this book as it breaks down the art of running for me. There are chapters on:
- Getting started, The Five stages of a Runner
- Training- the physiology of running, planning your runs and training logs
- Speed- increasing your pace and how to
- Tuning- form, stretching, motivation and mental training (I think this might be the most important section of this book)
- Injuries- what constitutes an injury, how to take care of injuries, alternative exercises to do while injured
- Food- what to eat to enhance performance
- Shoes- shoe fit, shoe shape, shoe shopping
- and more!
I did not read this book from front to back, rather, I zeroed in on sections that were of most importance to me (mainly form, injuries, and training). I have found this book invaluable as I learn how to become a better runner and as I train for the San Diego 1/2 Marathon in June with Team Shrinking Jeans.
I have one book- Galloway’s Book on Running– to giveaway to ONE lucky reader.
ALSO, I have one copy of the book Marathon: You Can Do It, also by Jeff Galloway, to giveaway to ONE lucky reader.
Even if you have no plans to do a marathon, the principles in this book are applicable to running any length of distances, in general. It, too, covers all the same topics as the first book, but also expands to cover areas of interest for those reaching for The Holy Grail- completing a marathon.
To enter to win EITHER of these books:
- Tell us if you are a runner or thinking about starting to run.
- Follow the Sisterhood on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway for an extra entry! Leave a comment letting us know you tweeted.
- Join the ‘hood, or if you’re already a member, friend someone new! Leave an additional comment for an extra entry.
Giveaway ends on Wednesday, February 10th at midnight PST. Only open to US residents.
The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans received a copy of “Marathon: You Can Do It” for review purposes only. Both books are being provided by Shelter Publications. The Sisterhood was not paid for this review, and our opinions are our own.
(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)