Ok, so we’ve all heard of Zumba® by now, right? Well, did you know there are several different flavors of Zumba® these days? I had no idea until recently! I only knew about the traditional Zumba® Fitness classes offered at various gyms, fitness centers, dance studios, etc. and the DVDs for home. Imagine my surprise to learn there are actually EIGHT options available! They offer options for everything from the regular Zumba® Fitness class to options for active seniors, kids, body sculpting and more! Who knew?
Seriously … who knew?! Here’s the rundown:
- Zumba® Fitness – exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and international beats.
- Aqua Zumba® – safe, challenging, water-based workout that’s cardio-conditioning and body-toning
- Zumba Gold® – modified moves and pacing to suit the needs of the active older participant, as well as those just starting their journey to a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- Zumba® Toning – targeted body-sculpting exercises and high-energy cardio work with Latin-infused Zumba moves to create a calorie-torching, strength-training dance fitness-party.
- Zumba® in the Circuit – 30 minutes of high-octane, Latin-inspired dance-fitness moves combined with circuit training.
- Zumba® Gold-Toning – dynamic lightweight resistance training and exciting international rhythms, Zumba Gold-Toning classes help participants build muscle strength, increase bone density, and improve mobility, posture and coordination.
- Zumbatomic® – rockin’, high-energy fitness-parties packed with specially choreographed, kid-friendly (ages 4-12) routines and all the music kids love, like hip-hop, reggaeton, cumbia and more.
- Zumba Sentao™ – explosive, chair-based choreography to strengthen, balance and stabilize your core, and step up your cardio work in a whole new way.
I had the opportunity recently to give Aqua Zumba® a try since it’s now being offered as a class at one of my local 24 Hour Fitness gyms. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into it, so I did a bit of online research and stumbled across this video and this video. You can go check them out. I’ll wait.
Back? Ok, good! Didn’t that look like fun?! After watching the videos, I had a much better idea of what to expect and felt much more at ease. When the day of the class rolled around, I packed up my trusty gym bag and headed to the gym after work. The pool was pretty packed, but we all worked around each other and had a GREAT time! The music and moves were both a lot of fun. This definitely wasn’t your old school water aerobics class. The instructor is still poolside rather than being in the water, but that’s about all Aqua Zumba® has in common with old school water aerobics. It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s funky.
Now comes the real question I’m sure you all have: how was the workout? I must admit I was pretty surprised. The next day, the muscles in my shoulders, arms, and legs were definitely sore. Other than a few specific moves, everything is done completely underwater, so there is lots of resistance. I’m sure that’s why I was feeling it.
Will I be taking this class again? ABSOLUTELY! It was a lot of fun and was a really nice change of pace from the usual group classes I’ve been taking. Given I had knee surgery about six months ago, it was also great to have a class option that took all the pressure off my knee, too. That being said, don’t assume this class would only be good for people with injuries and such. It’s a great workout for anyone! If you want to give it a try, check out their class locator to find an Aqua Zumba® class in your area.
Do you Zumba®? Have you ever tried any of the variations other than the traditional Zumba® Fitness class? Leave a comment and let us know! If you haven’t checked out the Zumba® options available in your area lately, check them out again! You just might find a form of Zumba® that’s just right for you!
(Visited 58 times, 2 visits today)